Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Shocking Grand Mercure Asoke Bangkok .. Avoid at all cost

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: spg, hyatt diamond, amex platinum, star alliance gold, priority pass

We booked this hotel based on the reviews we read, the hotel description and the "Upscale" 5 stars rating on the Accor website.

Advertised as:
1. "3 minute walking distance from Sukhumvit MRT" >> ACTUALLY it is at least 15 minutes walk.
2. "5-star international standard facilities" >> ACTUALLY it has NO facilities at all, no food & beverages outlet, no concierge, even the person claiming to be the "Front Office Manager" has no business card and not able to string two words together in English!!!

The whole place felt very dodgy. Front office staff appeared very inexperienced and nervous about what they were doing. The room smelled like moth balls, the air conditioning units were held together by masking tape, the place was definitely far from fresh and clean. Definitely not international 5 star standard. The location is also questionable.

The front office manager explained that their 5 star rating is based on their staff training and amenities. To our surprise the next thing we saw was the house keeping staff on duty using the supermarket trolley. Take a look at the photos of house keeping staff at work and decide for yourself.

The GM later wrote to me explaining that supermarket trolley housekeeping is common in Bangkok. I have been travelling to Bangkok since early 80s for as often as twice a month. I have not encountered any supermarket trolley in any other hotel.

The state of this place makes me wonder about Accor rating as well as its integrity of property descriptions.

As LC Platinum I'm very disappointed

Last edited by spice; Mar 6, 2015 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Last edited by starflyergold; Mar 9, 2015 at 1:48 am Reason: removed picture of staff member
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spice
Picture is not visible
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:58 am

Why is the shopping trolley such a big deal?

;
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Picture is not visible
Thanks for letting me know ~ I've reposted the pics
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
Why is the shopping trolley such a big deal?
The whole place doesn't reflect it's 5star Upscale rating ad. Simply misleading rating and description. Shopping trolley housekeeping is just one example of the lack of professionalism in this place. Everything else looks old and tired on first glance and upon closer investigation is as bad as the AC unit.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat
How much was the room?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It's a cheap (thb 3000) property/residence aiming at families or longer stays....
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's a cheap (thb 3000) property/residence aiming at families or longer stays....
Indeed it is a rundown cheap and nasty place being advertised and sold as 5* Upscale property.
AND at the time of booking it was in the price range of nearby Sofitel, M Gallery and Pullman which are of complete different class.

We checked out within 30 mins and moved to Pullman which had a slightly lower rate for the day and definitely of much higher standard.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Did you get stay and points credit for both stays on the same night?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by spice
Indeed it is a rundown cheap and nasty place being advertised and sold as 5* Upscale property.
No it's not... you get what you see. It's called "Residences" for a purpose.
Your expectation were too high, or you got unlucky. Plenty of favorable reviews.

For instance, they never advertise any of the facilities you were expecting. And anyone can see the location on a map.

You either didn't do your research or you were expecting too much for the price paid.

Last edited by RTW1; Mar 7, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 7, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While it does not sound like the most exciting property on earth and plainly not the best Accor property in Bangkok, the OP's statement of "avoid at all cost" seems to me over the top; too much drama and hyperbole for what sounds like, at heart, merely like a mediocre property. But then, that is not unusual for Mercure properties which are sometimes OK and sometimes not so much but, in any event, not normally the kind of upscale properties the OP seems to be expecting.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Club Accor Gold
I had a long post ready to go, but I deleted it. All I'm going to say is: if you expect Sofitel, MGallery, or Pullman quality, book a Sofitel, MGallery, or Pullman hotel. The fact that every room is supposed to have a kitchen would have been my first hint that it was a short term residential hotel and not a luxury full service property.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:39 am

Yeah the whole seems ott to me.I don't get the fixation with the shopping trolley.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by islandcub1
...: if you expect Sofitel, MGallery, or Pullman quality, book a Sofitel, MGallery, or Pullman hotel.
Well, the Grand Mercure Asoke was indeed a Sofitel until 2008 or 2009 I stayed there in 2007 and it was ok for me, but definately not a 5 star hotel. You get a huge suite with separate living room and bedroom and a kitchen, but not much of amenities or benfits as a Le Club Accorhotels elite member. During sales times you can get a nice suite at this hotel for about 2.000 THB. If you out this in perspective it's not that bad

Originally Posted by islandcub1
The fact that every room is supposed to have a kitchen would have been my first hint that it was a short term residential hotel and not a luxury full service property.
100% agree, rather a serviced apartment than a hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.