Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Warsaw

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Well, regarding Italy, they now have a mandatory test policy for those coming from at least France and Spain. Also, their contamination rate is spiking now, maybe because it was pretty opened and lax in the summer to save a bit of the tourism season.

Now, Italy is in some place under heavy restrictions like mandatory masks outside, curfew, bar closure, etc... And they are increasing restrictions days after days.

Maybe the best bet in Europe is Greece and indeed the MGallery in Athens, or Ibis Styles Heraklion. All of my relatives who travelled to Greece last months had a great time. Not like Turkey unfortunately, where there are local restrictions, and a mandatory test when you come back in France and most EU countries...
Also Portugal is reasonable regarding restrictions. But as a top European tourism destination, it may look sad these days with empty streets... And except Sofitel Lisboa that is closed, Accor only have low quality properties in Portugal (except maybe the very new Mercure Porto Centro Aliados they just opened).

Last edited by IstKong; Oct 22, 2020 at 9:51 am
Old Oct 22, 2020, 11:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
I would not call the Ibises in Portugal "low quality", they are among the best ibis hotels in Europe, and the breakfasts, including pasteis de nata, is quite exquisite. A great way to burn through points and enjoy one of the most inspiring of European countries.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:42 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL8N2HE34O

Poland to close restaurants and bars for the next two weeks, limiting gatherings to 5... Can someone on the ground or native polish speaker confirm ? If it's correct, I'm glad I didn't booked anything to Warsaw for the week-end...

It can also be interesting to know how it will affect hotels operations (in-room dining only ? No fitness/swimming pool ?)
Old Oct 23, 2020, 12:58 pm

Correct - restaurants cafes and pubs will be closed except for takeaway and deliveries.
IstKong likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 1:19 pm

Facebook message after Warsaw became COVID-19 red zone

Changes changes changes

Our Winestone restaurant open till 21:00 daily.

But dont worry. Our room service operates vigorously every day after 21:00.

Old Oct 23, 2020, 3:36 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

<3 vigorously <3

PS. Hotel restaurants can only serve hotel guests, but can continue regular service in doing so. BTW, there is no way they are going to be able to implement this "max 5 people" rule, basically the gov't is running in panic mode and tries to pretend they are doing something about the rapid rise in the number of cases after PL having trailed the rest of Europe for months. That said, the closure of restaurants and bars is a bummer, especially that there was no proof of this being a major source of local transmission.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 4:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by JTCz
<3 vigorously <3

PS. Hotel restaurants can only serve hotel guests, but can continue regular service in doing so. BTW, there is no way they are going to be able to implement this "max 5 people" rule, basically the gov't is running in panic mode and tries to pretend they are doing something about the rapid rise in the number of cases after PL having trailed the rest of Europe for months. That said, the closure of restaurants and bars is a bummer, especially that there was no proof of this being a major source of local transmission.

Similar in UK as well.

All it will do is to kill off hospitality and other businesses.

That said there are no solutions to this unless you live on an island ( NZ or AUS ) and they have problems as well.

The only way out is a vaccine, but it will be about 1 year till most have received it, even if available now. The only thing we can do is to mix less, and keep distance, and sanitize. Its going to be a long, cold and nasty winter in Europe this year - not even Christmas markets to look forward to as they have now been cancelled.

Stay safe everyone.
Old Oct 24, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by hotel_user
Similar in UK as well.

All it will do is to kill off hospitality and other businesses.

That said there are no solutions to this unless you live on an island ( NZ or AUS ) and they have problems as well.

The only way out is a vaccine, but it will be about 1 year till most have received it, even if available now. The only thing we can do is to mix less, and keep distance, and sanitize. Its going to be a long, cold and nasty winter in Europe this year - not even Christmas markets to look forward to as they have now been cancelled.

Stay safe everyone.

Hospitality/aviation/tourism industry is already killed. They are only surviving in European countries because of the generosity of taxpayers from other sectors.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 2:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

ANYWAY, we've had a delightful autumn weekend, the foliage looks fab and you should definitely consider putting Poland on your autumn travel list and staying at the Sofitel while at it!

hotel_user likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2020, 8:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by JTCz
ANYWAY, we've had a delightful autumn weekend, the foliage looks fab and you should definitely consider putting Poland on your autumn travel list and staying at the Sofitel while at it!

Lovely picture - was that taken in the park next to the hotel.
Totally agree, Poland has lovely autumnal vistas. We had a really great time a few years ago starting at the Sofitel at Sopot, and ending at the Sofitel at Warsaw ( and a good few Mercures inbetween ). Want to go back as soon as safe to do so.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 5:15 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Nope, it was taken... at a cemetery - I did my graveyard run this weekend to avoid the Nov 1st rush. But Poland looks like that all over:

hotel_user likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Just stayed at the Sofitel. Very good stay and I have been very well welcomed as a Diamond member. Unfortunately the ambiance in town and at the hotel is somewhat depressing. With all shops and restaurants closed in town, the streets are very empty. The hotel had something like 20 rooms occupied (guessed from the length of the list they use at breakfast when they ask for your room number). Most of the guests were French. But at least the hotel operates almost normally and the experience remains very decent. The staff was really very nice and I feel so sad for them to be in such a situation.
I booked a Junior Suite and was upgraded to a Prestige Suite facing the main square. Drink voucher was given at checkin. In the room, a bottle of sparkling wine in an ice bucket was waiting for us along with a welcome note from the GM thanking me for coming back at the hotel.

There were 2 full bathrooms (one in each room). The 1st one:

the 2nd one:

The very large and nice breakfast room felt very empty. Service is all done behind plexi by the staff (buffet items are displayed behind the plexi and you ask what you want. Warm options at of course available..
Restaurant is closed due to low occupancy, but you can have lunch and dinner at the bar. Room service is still available.
Housekeeping is only on demand.
What’s nice is that the beautiful indoor swimming pool is still available.

Without surprise with the low occupancy, I got a late checkout at 2:30 pm (time I asked).
Overall a good stay, great staff, hotel still proposing a strong product, very good status recognition. But a bit depressing due to the sanitary situation. But of course the hotel is not responsible for this and they ar doing their best to ensure their few guests have a good experience.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum, Qatar Airways Privilege Club Gold
Thank you for the review! This hotel is on my list for 2021 (hopefully!)
Old Nov 9, 2020, 10:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Just stayed at the Sofitel. Very good stay and I have been very well welcomed as a Diamond member. Unfortunately the ambiance in town and at the hotel is somewhat depressing. With all shops and restaurants closed in town, the streets are very empty.
You in warsaw reminds me of the flyertalkers meeting 4 years ago , i went back to this Rżana restaurant last winter and i thought about you and the others.

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I booked a Junior Suite and was upgraded to a Prestige Suite facing the main square. Drink voucher was given at checkin. In the room, a bottle of sparkling wine in an ice bucket was waiting for us along with a welcome note from the GM thanking me for coming back at the hotel.....Overall a good stay, great staff, hotel still proposing a strong product, very good status recognition.
Good for you ! I stayed there by accident in a junior suite before covid , it was nice but i expected better . The prestige looks way closer to what i expect from a sofitel
Goldorak and hotel_user like this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 9, 2020 at 10:54 am
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by fifty_two
You in warsaw reminds me of the flyertalkers meeting 4 years ago , i went back to this Rżana restaurant last winter and i thought about you and the others.
, yes I thought the same too. And this was my 1st stay at this Sofitel back then. And several other people of our small group were also staying at the Sofitel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.