Search

Novotel Palembang

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Novotel Palembang

Hot on the heels of the fantastic reports on the Accor threads lately, I have decided to start with my virgin HR (Hotel Report).
Certainly no way on par with the others', but I thought it would be fun to report on a hotel that most would not end up at.

Palembang - second largest city on the island of Sumatra (after Medan). I recently stayed at the only Accor property in Medan called the Grand Ankasa Medan which was so uneventful and bad that I hope when it finally becomes a Grand Mercure at some stage to have more to share.

In Palembang the only Accor property is the Novotel Palembang. #1 on TA..hmm

Trip by taxi from the airport cost me Rp65,000 and took roughly 25mins - with a bit of traffic. Driving into the front of the hotel it gives you a resort feel.
I guess a good way to describe the layout is as per TA: "A fort". Hotel is 3 stories high made up of 10 blocks arranged in a circle with a swimming pool & gardens in the middle. Lobby/restaurant building at "6 o'clock" a "health centre/spa" at 12 o'clock and then the room blocks filling the gaps.

Here the night shots of the two main buildings.

After arriving, proceeded to the check in desk. Guy at the reception couldn't find my booking. I gave him my passport, cc, and Advantage Plus card. Couldn't find my name, couldn't find the details under my membership nr. So I gave him my reservations number and he didn't want that.
So I pulled out the reservation on my mobile (thanks for pre-paid SIM cards) and that was fine (?). But he had to go to the back office to check (with my phone).
He came back and he then found the reservation - by keying in my surname. (??). He then mumbled something about the room not being ready and I should have a sit down "welcome drink on the house".

Lobby view. High ceilings and very open plan. Very "resort-y"

Some syrup over-the-top-sweet drink...

View from the bar...

So he came to me, after about 30mins, and asked me to walk back to the counter to register. "Fill in your name, phone number, email address, sign". (Shouldn't they have all that on file?) Anyway... I filled it out.
"Your credit card for guarantee please"... Now I'm normally fine with this. But as a Plat member, it is a 'benefit' to not have to hand over your cc at Novotels. I normally say "no" once, and explain the situation. If they still insist, I hand it over. This guy ran to the back and called the FOM.
The FOM came out and asked "why", so I showed him a print-out from the benefits site and he tells me its the first time he sees this. I hand over my CC.
I then ask him if the room has been upgraded and he said "no, would you like to have an upgrade let me see what I can do". At this stage it dawns on me that this hotel either does not participate in Le Club or they just don't know. OK.. so upgrade done. From Superior to Deluxe (same room type - but instead of outside facing it faces inside towards the pool).

So that was it. I had to ask for the wifi password. No further drinks voucher (but I did get mine earlier didn't I...)

All done, walking to the room was nice. Especially considering the nice manicured garden view and the pool.

The room is spacious - typical Asian. Large bed, sofa (not sofa bed). Furniture quite run down. Some bulbs blown. Some comments on TA mention airconditioning not working but that isnt the case for me - working well. Welcome fruit basket never came.

Working desk and chair are not very comfortable to work on and wifi is just ok (but who needs that if you have this view from the room)..

... but Palembang is not really your typical vacation town.

I had my meetings during the day and decided to try out the restaurant. It's always worrying when you are the only guest in the restaurant. But the food was surprisingly good. I had a local dish called Mie Celor and some Avocado Juice (a must-have when in Indonesia).

Oh.. and there is no lounge in this hotel.

Coincidentally, one of my business associates I met up with, worked in this hotel for 2 years in a Snr Mgmt position - which I didn't know at first. He asked me how the hotel was and I explained to him the lack of Le Club benefits understanding. His response: "That is not a lack of understanding. The owners of the hotel are completely against any form of benefits / upgrade / gifts etc - you wouldn't believe the number of complaints I got in my two years staying there from Gold/Plat members". So there you have it. NOW I wonder how many other Accor property owners are pushing their weight around and not following the Accor programme. (Sofitel Melbourne, Brisbane, Sentosa...)

So overall a so-so experience. I haven't checked out yet. But should any further surprises be in store I shall update!
Old May 14, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Coincidentally, one of my business associates I met up with, worked in this hotel for 2 years in a Snr Mgmt position - which I didn't know at first. He asked me how the hotel was and I explained to him the lack of Le Club benefits understanding. His response: "That is not a lack of understanding. The owners of the hotel are completely against any form of benefits / upgrade / gifts etc - you wouldn't believe the number of complaints I got in my two years staying there from Gold/Plat members". So there you have it. NOW I wonder how many other Accor property owners are pushing their weight around and not following the Accor programme. (Sofitel Melbourne, Brisbane, Sentosa...)
Hmmm...why have I a feeling of déjà vu....

BTW, thanks for this very nice report ^ And good luck for the rest of your stay.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
Ah, I just realized your message on my Instagram couple hours ago. I'm really sorry that you experiencing the similar recognition like I had. Well, did you get the ugly green welcome drinks ?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by virtualaris
Ah, I just realized your message on my Instagram couple hours ago. I'm really sorry that you experiencing the similar recognition like I had. Well, did you get the ugly green welcome drinks ?
no pak... see above I got the fire engine red one LOL
Old May 20, 2014, 12:15 am

I've been to Palembang many times.....and stayed in this hotel once . I'd recommend the Aston, or the hotel Swarna Dwipa over the Novotel.

Palembang is a very interesting place though.
Old May 20, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
I've been to Palembang many times.....and stayed in this hotel once . I'd recommend the Aston, or the hotel Swarna Dwipa over the Novotel.

Palembang is a very interesting place though.
I'll try them all at some stage
Yes..agree. Palembang is interesting. Could even call it peculiar - but in a positive sense. I like the people. Very laid back and easy going. I've also met here more malay-indonesian married to chinese than in other parts of ID.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

2 1/2 weeks later and I am still waiting for points to post.
Have sent a missing points request to accor.

(Virtualaris, did your points get posted on your stay?)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
2 1/2 weeks later and I am still waiting for points to post.
Have sent a missing points request to accor.

(Virtualaris, did your points get posted on your stay?)
It's been 7 weeks and no points posted yet. I haven't got a time to submit the missing points yet. It is very disappointing for all the stages; during the booking process, stay, and post-stay.

Perhaps it's better for Accor to penalize hotel that is not accordance with Accor T&C since it would harm Accor reputation .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.