Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Mara Safari Club

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Originally Posted by lefrid
Any reason why all availability has been zeroed after 30 june 2019?
Leaving Accor?
I actually just looked yesterday to get an idea of availability around the dates I have booked in August. I was surprised to see none. Maybe there's something more than no availability going on it seems like.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:45 pm

Upcoming stay

Any recent or other upcoming stays here?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by Braswch
Any recent or other upcoming stays here?
I'll be there the end of next week, will report back.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:26 am

Power plugs

Are there US style plugs or universal plugs in the tents? Or Do I need to being an adapter?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by Braswch
Are there US style plugs or universal plugs in the tents? Or Do I need to being an adapter?
UK style

Plus USB sockets for mobile devices.

Last edited by Jasper2009; Aug 12, 2019 at 12:43 pm Reason: merged info
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
Completed a 3 night stay today. The previous reviews in this thread remain accurate.

The local reserve and safari drives were fantastic. It was immediately a good sign when we came across National Geographic filming a cheetah and her cubs there. We more than checked off seeing the big 5.

I found the drive schedule a little limiting, having come from Kruger self driving the 6 hour gap in the middle of the day felt wasted.

We elected not to pay for our own driver as the surcharge was $450. In hindsight we should have done this. We, a couple, were paired with a family of 4 with 2 children younger than 10. They climbed all over the car and at one point were waving a 5 foot stick around. It did not detract from seeing the animals but it was a test of patience ignoring them.

The night game drive at $45pp is recommended as you get to see different animals around and capture different behaviors of the ones you already had seen. This was really good value.

The standard room is literally a concrete base, shower and toilet with a tent over it, basically high end glamping. Be prepared for animals and insects entering, I had to remove a lizard at one stage.

Food and beverage was all over the place. As noted before there is no rhythm or rhyme to whether a meal is a la carte or buffet. Quality ranged from ok to poor.

Regarding drinking water you are given 4 medium sized bottles in your room. I requested more and the person assigned to our room made it seem like he was doing us a big favor by giving us more than allowed, which seems absurd for a high end resort. They gouge you at the restaurants by charging for any beverage on the full board package (a large bottle of water there is something like $7).

Would I come back? Probably, but only on the strength of the safaris and assuming I would pay extra for private tours.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:26 pm

August 2021 question

My husband and I are thinking of going in August 2021 (hopefully). Was wondering if you have to pay extra $80/ d/ p for the national park fee on top of the $70/ d/ p conservancy fee (if I understand correctly this hotel is on its own conservancy next to the national park).
We are hoping to catch the wildebeest crossing the river (which is in Mara triangle/ river in the national park).
Questions:
1. How would this work in terms of fees/ distance? will the game drive go there? is it too far for them? Do you have to pay for both national park fee AND conservancy fee? Can we do 1 long game drive instead of 2 due to distance?
2. our rate $473 include full board (excl drink) - does it EXclude ALL drinks? even water?
3. Any recent stay update?
Thank you!!
Old Mar 5, 2021, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Jennatraveller
My husband and I are thinking of going in August 2021 (hopefully). Was wondering if you have to pay extra $80/ d/ p for the national park fee on top of the $70/ d/ p conservancy fee (if I understand correctly this hotel is on its own conservancy next to the national park).
We are hoping to catch the wildebeest crossing the river (which is in Mara triangle/ river in the national park).
Questions:
1. How would this work in terms of fees/ distance? will the game drive go there? is it too far for them? Do you have to pay for both national park fee AND conservancy fee? Can we do 1 long game drive instead of 2 due to distance?
2. our rate $473 include full board (excl drink) - does it EXclude ALL drinks? even water?
3. Any recent stay update?
Thank you!!
Wish I could be more helpful, but since it's been over two years since my wife and I stayed there, all I can recall for certain is that this otherwise excellent hotel definitely charged extra for even the water at meals. It's possible that we got extra water for our room for free and could have taken it to the restaurant - I vaguely recall kicking myself a few times for forgetting to do this - but I'm just not certain.

As you'll see from my review upthread, an excellent manager there did a great job of answering my own questions via email before the trip. I'm confident he could do the same for you. I'd suggest you write directly to him about these matters.

Regardless, it's a great property that offers a unique experience. I hope the Covid situation has cleared up enough by August to permit your trip. Look carefully into any quarantine rules for not just Kenya but for transit passengers. Assuming it works out, enjoy!
Old Apr 17, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Wish I could be more helpful, but since it's been over two years since my wife and I stayed there, all I can recall for certain is that this otherwise excellent hotel definitely charged extra for even the water at meals. It's possible that we got extra water for our room for free and could have taken it to the restaurant - I vaguely recall kicking myself a few times for forgetting to do this - but I'm just not certain.

As you'll see from my review upthread, an excellent manager there did a great job of answering my own questions via email before the trip. I'm confident he could do the same for you. I'd suggest you write directly to him about these matters.

Regardless, it's a great property that offers a unique experience. I hope the Covid situation has cleared up enough by August to permit your trip. Look carefully into any quarantine rules for not just Kenya but for transit passengers. Assuming it works out, enjoy!
Thank you for this answer! I just saw this.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:17 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
In February, we were told all Fairmont in Kenya have been sold and would leave Fairmont/Accor. No update on the Accor web site, but wouldn't put any hope in them re-opening as a Fairmont.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN (*G), BA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any recent stays here?

Am I right in assuming that the Full Board rate also includes beverages and game drives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.