FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:45 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Please don't ask me how I've been getting off
In transit in London Heathrow

I'm quickly through T4->T4 security. No one checked I was entitled to use the first/business line though! Then up to the lounge, first for a shower. The spa and showers have just in the past couple of days been rebanded to Elemis (and with Elemis products) but the actual showers themselves are unchanged. I even am reminded the shower head fell down last time I showered here also, but unfortunately not before it hit me on the head. There was no wait for a shower.

Then to the computer room (on departure level opposite concorde room) to sort out an upcoming meeting and then do one online. But first a minor hassle to get the entry code without a boarding pass.

That meeting done I head downstairs to the first class lounge for a bite to eat. But first they need to reissue the boarding pass so that it will work through the gate reader. I notice my status has been lost from British Airway's system and so ask to get that added to. After about an hour of typing, and calling someone to fix stuff, the agent finally manages to reissue the boarding pass.

Somehow my name had gone funny in BA's system, but not in QF's, and the lack of match to my name on frequent flyer card and passport was causing a problem. That explains my difficulty in selecting seats online several days earlier, but does not explain why my name should go funny in the first place. In many hundreds of bookings this is the first one where my name has been corrupted in the system.

That done I can enter the lounge proper. However I do want to check in for the next 2 flights also, due to shortish connection times, and potential risk of being stuck if, as suggested by the agent, I end up needing to check in at the gate. The agent tries and fails and suggests I use online check in (OLCI). This too fails on several attempts.

The agent did make a comment about how she'd never seen such a convoluted itinerary and speculated that the number of connecting flights without stopover might be preventing me from checking in.

So the next couple of transits may not be the stress-free inconsequential times I had hoped for.

Oh yeah - there was a DYKWIA complaining about his missing (or late) bags. Perhaps he'd read this thread? I don't know what he thought he'd achieve by berating lounge agents about it, for more than 30 minutes. If they have to put up with this sort of rubbish all the time they have my fullest sympathies.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Oct 10, 2007 at 2:07 pm