Wiki Posts
Search

LHR missing baggage now at 20,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
LHR missing baggage now at 20,000

Just come off the phone to Watership Down and apparently the pile of shortshipped bags now numbers 20,000 and is still growing...

Tonight's Evening Standard final edititon splash:
TRANSPORT Secretary Ruth Kelly has called a "security summit" of major airlines, airports and government officials amid growing concern that Heathrow could see chaos this summer.
The announcement came as Unite, the largest aviation union, warned that British Airways operations at Heathrow were being hit by a shortage of staff. Brendan Gold, the union's national secretary for civil aviation, said there had been "a failure of leadership by BA to the point of incompetence".
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
I know that BIG efforts are being made by senior BA management to get staff to volunteer to sort out the backlog. Staff have received a number of requests to help with this from the very top.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I do hope you've told the "very top" what to do with their requests.

Shame the "very top" didn't pay attention to staffing levels and labour relations in the first place...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
I know that BIG efforts are being made by senior BA management to get staff to volunteer to sort out the backlog. Staff have received a number of requests to help with this from the very top.
The bigwigs at BA should lead by example, roll up their sleeves and get stuck in with the rest! But somehow I don't see that happening. No doubt I'll get a barrage of abuse for saying this.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by roxanna
The bigwigs at BA should lead by example, roll up their sleeves and get stuck in with the rest! But somehow I don't see that happening. No doubt I'll get a barrage of abuse for saying this.
Not at all ^ I'm sure it would be good PR too (well, I guess you can tell me that better than I can you ). Though it smacks a tad of O'Liary - he did that in DUB I believe when he went up against his problem baggage handlers

The 'bigwigs' should help out if needed...but they should also do their jobs properly and break the militant work-to-rule anachronistic unions down there too (as well as realistically set staffing levels to cope with the new baggage demands - I believe they've clearly cut-cut-cut too far).
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:40 am

Martin George (rep slightly tarnished now) was brilliant at getting on the shop floor in times of crisis - you'd always see his face in the paper checking people in etc.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by roxanna
Not at all (re. abuse) and I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening. WW recognises the current situation. ALL staff, not just a/p, are being asked to help.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jul 6, 2007 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I believe they've clearly cut-cut-cut too far).
I think that's a given. I came back through LHR the other week and went past a huge pile of bags left in the open air.

Very, very poor.

BA know how many flights they operate.
They know the potential number of bags (in fact they have this as an accurate figure once check-in is closed).
They know the rough arrival time of the flights.
They know which terminal they need to get the bags to.
They know they are going to have p*ssed off pax

They believe asking the already overworked staff to help out will resolve the problem.

net, net is BA cut back to the bone on costs to improve the bottom line at the expense of satisfying their revenue generation stream, the passengers.

Short term gain IMO.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Is this perhaps the news we've been waiting for or will it take more:

"British Airways Plc, Europe's third- largest airline, will take steps to ease pressure on baggage handlers at London's Heathrow airport.

The carrier will assign employees from cargo operations and use contractors to help handlers cope with greater workloads, said Andrew Dodgshon, a spokesman for the Transport and General Worker's Union, in an interview today. The London-based airline and the union reached agreement yesterday, he said. The workers have security clearances and are able to start immediately."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...dencw&refer=uk
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:36 am

I was going to rant and moan once again about nobody from BA expressing the slightest bit of interest in employing me over the summer despite numerous requests.

Heck even BAA wanted me for security, but theres not a chance you'd ever get me to do that job!

Thankfully I just got confirmed on two much more interesting, useful, and better paid placements this afternoon!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kezza25
Martin George (rep slightly tarnished now) was brilliant at getting on the shop floor in times of crisis - you'd always see his face in the paper checking people in etc.
Did he help out on the ticket desk? Would have been a whizz at calculating the surcharges...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Did he help out on the ticket desk? Would have been a whizz at calculating the surcharges...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Where actually does the problem lie ? Is this essentially an inbound or outbound issue and is it all down to shortages, or are there unworkable screening procedures in operation for outbound flights ?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:23 am

And there is (or was on Sun Evening) a mountain of luggage at LGW -don't suppose that's included in the 20,000
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:16 pm

I thought it was very kind of BA to email me asking if i would help. Unfortunately as i only have 4 days left before been made redundant (not redundant by BA's reconing though it is severance) i have declined the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.