FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dissed by a FTer!
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2007, 1:53 pm
Cholula
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
she's not interested in a big DO... simply because there will be too many new people at once, too much confusion to be able to get good conversations and you'll only get to know 5 or 6 people anyway... so why not just meet 5 or 6 at a time.
It's not so much the number of people, IMO, as it is how the DO is organized and where the people are staying.

Some DO's are loosely organized, folks are in hotels all over town and thus the chances to interact are limited.

Other DO's are tightly scheduled with multiple opportunities to get together.

Plus when the majority of attendees stay at the same hotel...as will be happening in the upcoming Fourth Annual PBI/FLL Meet, it makes it easier to meet more people. You interact at breakfast, in the lobby, health club , business center, bar and other common areas.

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I think the big gatherings will by nature have some folk who are ill at ease with a first meeting of people they don't know, and with the surreal shift from virtual space to physical space
For me, the surreal shift is from using each others handles on a daily basis and instead using real names.

I'll always remember my first DO three years ago.

I walked into the bar where a bunch of FT'ers were imbibing adult beverages and introduced myself to the group with my handle. In response I got "Hi, I'm Jim, I'm Bob, I'm Betty, I'm Doris, etc."

To which I was mucho .

Were these the people I'd been interacting with for years and only knew by their unique handles?? It took awhile to match the real names with the handles and then to determine which the FT'er preferred to be addressed.