FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:01 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qukslvr619
Interesting experience out of IAH yesterday. Lucked out getting AA to rebook me STLIAHSAN since DFW was a mess and their only option was getting me to SAN on Tuesday which wasn't going to work, but that's another story.

I was #1 for the upgrade and since my chances looked good I opted to not buy food in the terminal to take onboard. The board the flight and as its completed the Captain comes out and indicates that they don't have enough F meals, and he wanted us to have the experience that we expected flying UA so they called catering and they were bringing additional meals. 20-30 mins pass and the Captain comes out again and says catering only brought us 5 kids snackboxes. He was willing to call again, indicated he wanted to go into the terminal and buy food but everything was closed. At this point FA said they have 13 meals and apologized profusely, saying they would make up for it. I was in row 5 so figured I'd be stuck with the snack box but surprisingly by the time the FA got to me they still had a few chicken entrees (Zantar) available. What I found weird was that IAH is a major hub so its not like this was an outstation with limited options. Secondly this was a 2145 departure which in CO days only meant a cold snack plate, but I'm not complaining.

No nuts or pre-meal snack, but figured it was part of the catering snafu, and the crew was pretty good considering. Trays come out and it appears that there is a new catering dish that hopefully is replacing the current casserole dish/bowl we've all grown to "love." I'll post pics shortly; the chicken was relatively dry and the orzo was kinda hard. Fruit and "pie in the sky" were the only other items on the tray, no roll and definitely would have preferred a salad as side dish. Maybe the new catering dish is a sign of things to come?!?!

img

Not sure if the quantity of food increased, but the larger dish definitely looks more appealing than the other one they’ve been using. This seems to be more in line with the entree dishes that AA/DL use for domestic F.
Reminds me of this survey:
[UA Survey] - "Help us update the United Polaris business class experience"

Seems they settled on just updating one dish. 😖