FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using a half face respirator on UA flight?
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:42 pm
Global Adventurer

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
United also does not allow masks with exhalation valves. If the valve is covered, it should be fine, but I imagine it is not easy to cover the respirator pictured.
Actually, its very easy to cover these with another mask. The cartridges act like the ears on a person's face where the straps attach to. I've tried it.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, kerm65

Another issue some airlines have had with respirators is removing them to be able to use the emergency air / oxygen supply is a problem. The normal drop down oxygen mask can be used over standard face coverings or those face coverings / masks can be quickly removed. Not so with a respirator.

And of course, a vent is a no-no. It defeats the purpose of mask wearing, protecting others..
This particular model completely drops down off the head harness with one movement. Like taking a ball cap off. And then the entire mask just dangles on chest. The FULL FACE model is the one that is pain to deal with and the reason I didn't buy those.