Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Using a half face respirator on UA flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2020, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Are half face respirators allowed on UA? Have you seen anyone wearing them when traveling?

There are posts on the disposable model. I have called United but can’t get information if these are on the approved list. The mask is like the one you might use when painting with the cartridge/filters on the side of the headgear. They are comfortable for several hours.

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Just a suggestion: attaching a pic or link would get you better replies so people know exactly what you are talking about.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by kerm65
Are half face respirators allowed on UA? Have you seen anyone wearing them when traveling?

There are posts on the disposable model. I have called United but can’t get information if these are on the approved list. The mask is like the one you might use when painting with the cartridge/filters on the side of the headgear. They are comfortable for several hours.

Thanks
You might want to go to the United Airlines forum. But, for delta airlines they don't allow anything with a vent and make passengers either cover the valve with a mask or remove their valved mask and replace it.

I was wearing respirators with exhaust valves, the ones with cartridges P100s, and the regular valved ones like the N100s and N95. I currently only wear N95s with valves and cover them with two nurses masks and wear goggles on flights. Initially, I was extremely terrified of catching the virus on planes, but now with all the research that has been done, it seems that your chances are very low especially with a N95, goggles and two additional mask on top of the respirator. So, for now thats what I wear, as the virus has been found not to be as contagious as initially suspected. Its not as contagious as the measles for instance and wearing protection can almost guarantee the lack of contraction if the air is being circulated and replace every so many minutes. But, I still travel with my full size respirators for just in case I'm stuck on a runway where they have no choice but to turn off the hvac.
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Just a suggestion: attaching a pic or link would get you better replies so people know exactly what you are talking about.
The OP is talking about these respirators:

*They have an exhaust valve hidden at the bottom of the mask.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 25, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
You might want to go to the United Airlines forum. But, for delta airlines they don't allow anything with a vent and make passengers either cover the valve with a mask or remove their valved mask and replace it.

I was wearing respirators with exhaust valves, the ones with cartridges P100s, and the regular valved ones like the N100s and N95. I currently only wear N95s with valves and cover them with two nurses masks and wear goggles on flights. Initially, I was extremely terrified of catching the virus on planes, but now with all the research that has been done, it seems that your chances are very low especially with a N95, goggles and two additional mask on top of the respirator. So, for now thats what I wear, as the virus has been found not to be as contagious as initially suspected. Its not as contagious as the measles for instance and wearing protection can almost guarantee the lack of contraction if the air is being circulated and replace every so many minutes. But, I still travel with my full size respirators for just in case I'm stuck on a runway where they have no choice but to turn off the hvac.
United also does not allow masks with exhalation valves. If the valve is covered, it should be fine, but I imagine it is not easy to cover the respirator pictured.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, kerm65

Another issue some airlines have had with respirators is removing them to be able to use the emergency air / oxygen supply is a problem. The normal drop down oxygen mask can be used over standard face coverings or those face coverings / masks can be quickly removed. Not so with a respirator.

And of course, a vent is a no-no. It defeats the purpose of mask wearing, protecting others..
cre95, Often1, ajGoes and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2020 at 3:08 pm Reason: welcome
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
United also does not allow masks with exhalation valves. If the valve is covered, it should be fine, but I imagine it is not easy to cover the respirator pictured.
Actually, its very easy to cover these with another mask. The cartridges act like the ears on a person's face where the straps attach to. I've tried it.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, kerm65

Another issue some airlines have had with respirators is removing them to be able to use the emergency air / oxygen supply is a problem. The normal drop down oxygen mask can be used over standard face coverings or those face coverings / masks can be quickly removed. Not so with a respirator.

And of course, a vent is a no-no. It defeats the purpose of mask wearing, protecting others..
This particular model completely drops down off the head harness with one movement. Like taking a ball cap off. And then the entire mask just dangles on chest. The FULL FACE model is the one that is pain to deal with and the reason I didn't buy those.
kthomas and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... This particular model completely drops down off the head harness with one movement. ....
The airlines are not going to deal with some do and some don't. The fact some don't is going to set the bar if the airline decides to object.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:07 pm

The airlines are not going to deal with some do and some don't. The fact some don't is going to set the bar if the airline decides to object.
That's one of the reasons why I recently stopped wearing mine. Don't need any issues from aggressive gate agents or otherwise.
kthomas and Silver Fox like this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 4:34 pm

I'll be trying to use one next month (with a surgical mask covering the exhaust vent) on SFO-Hawaii. I'll have a disposable N95 as backup if any UA employee raises objections.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Gate announcements on my flights this week and last week - the mask cannot have a vent. United has the disposable masks to provide to passengers who are wearing masks with vents. On my IAD-SAN flight the gate agent informed the pre-boarding military person they could not wear the mask with the vent and needed to wear a mask without a vent.

So no masks with a vent and it is being actively monitored by the gate agents.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes everyone wearing a mask should protect one another, I like the respirator for a more thorough filtration method on the inhalation with a surgical mask covering the exhalation port. Have you seen people wear these on united flights while placing a traditional surgical mask over the exhalation vent? are gate and flight agents objecting to these methods?

Welcome to FT!, kerm65

Thanks for your comments/welcome... the half face respirator is actually more comfortable than the disposable respirators for me. I've worn them for long periods of time, easy to it easy to get on and off if necessary.

Thanks for your notes, agree, I've worn half face respirators for long periods of time, easy on/off if necessary. more comfortable than the disposable respirator and better seal.
What airlines are you using? Any objections from staff, when you cover the exhaust vent with a simple surgical mask?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2020 at 8:13 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by the same member
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The UA rule is clear and explicit.

All travelers are required to wear a face covering with no vents or openings that fully covers their nose and mouth. A face shield alone does not count as a face covering.

A 50c disposable mask will do the trick.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

so you are saying the 0.50 mask to cover the exhaust vent of the respirator does the trick? Either for a half face respirator or disposable respirator?
I know many people wear a disposable respirator with a vent and cover it with a surgical mask. But the half face respirator just fits correctly during travel.
Old Oct 25, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's one of the reasons why I recently stopped wearing mine. Don't need any issues from aggressive gate agents or otherwise.
I am sure gate agents (and "or otherwise") would vastly prefer not to have to confront passengers about these rules if they can at all reasonably avoid it.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.