FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz Gold Reward is now essentially useless
Old May 22, 2020, 10:21 pm
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by FlyingJayhawk12
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards has been useless for quite a while. Using points to pay for rentals has progressively become impossible. Are you saying that they have devalued their program even further?

The thing that really gets me riled up with Hertz is the fact that in the past, they have significantly devalued points (and have quietly removed program benefits) without any notice whatsoever which leaves the frequent customers (many of them here on FT) to distribute the word to the greater masses. It’s just generally terrible business practice which ruins any aspect of loyalty.

The only reason I continue to use Hertz is because they are the preferred rental car vendor for my company which is a very large Hertz corporate account. Before all of this COVID-19 BS, I was renting up to 100 cars per year. I wouldn’t hesitate to look elsewhere if I could.
I have had great success in using Hertz points for rentals, just about everywhere, FL, CA, ORD, you name it. And when the rates were low, I paid, like a 3 day SFO rental for $80 in January, even got a Benz in the Pres Circle area. I had purchased Hertz points in the Daily Getaway deal, which, combined with some eRewards redemptions for points, lasted quite a while and saved me thousands of dollars in rentals. I stopped collecting points for rentals, as once they devalued the weekly award rate, it didn't make sense and shifted to miles-mainly CX as they always had decent earning rates. I was going to top off my account for a weekly rental in CA in Sept, but I'll wait and see.