Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Gold Reward is now essentially useless

Old Mar 30, 20, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

It hiked its redemption rate last year without any notice and cancelled weekend special rates. Now it is apparently imposing blackout dates on EVERY location and EVERY major travel time (including almost entire summer). I only found out today when I was trying to book my Thanksgiving Las Vegas trip which I'm 100% sure that in 2019 they don't blackout this period of time.

Essentially, Hertz is telling everyone that my reward program is useless and I will do everything to prevent you from actually using it or you pay the ridiculously doubled rate. I have been traveling a lot and used all kinds of loyalty programs and I have yet seen one company so despicable and bottomless like Hertz, considering its normal rental rate is already one of the highest if not the highest.
sokolov, jdawg, buschoi and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 20, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's worth trying to book through airline portals (United typically gives huge mileage bonuses, Southwest is often generous) as you can earn a decent amount of miles and still get status benefits.
Old Apr 3, 20, 3:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, SWA RR ALP-CP, Hertz #1 Gold PC, HH Lifetime Diamond
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards has been useless for quite a while. Using points to pay for rentals has progressively become impossible. Are you saying that they have devalued their program even further?

The thing that really gets me riled up with Hertz is the fact that in the past, they have significantly devalued points (and have quietly removed program benefits) without any notice whatsoever which leaves the frequent customers (many of them here on FT) to distribute the word to the greater masses. It’s just generally terrible business practice which ruins any aspect of loyalty.

The only reason I continue to use Hertz is because they are the preferred rental car vendor for my company which is a very large Hertz corporate account. Before all of this COVID-19 BS, I was renting up to 100 cars per year. I wouldn’t hesitate to look elsewhere if I could.

Last edited by FlyingJayhawk12; Apr 3, 20 at 3:17 pm
Old Apr 6, 20, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by FlyingJayhawk12 View Post
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards has been useless for quite a while.
+1
Old May 20, 20, 11:37 pm

I am really behind the times. Yeah i am sitting on some significant Hertz points. Wish i had redeemed more. I always just find good deals and saved too much for a "rainy" day. Lesson learned. Use points today, don't save anymore.

Is the ability to transfer points to airlines or hotels now gone? apologize i am really not up to date on Hertz and looked all over on the site logged in and cant find it anymore.
Old May 21, 20, 6:39 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
Is the ability to transfer points to airlines or hotels now gone? apologize i am really not up to date on Hertz and looked all over on the site logged in and cant find it anymore.
Have a look here where this topic was discussed recently.
Old May 21, 20, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
I've been trying to use my points for any rental around the Yellowstone are to go one-way to SLC. Nothing works or takes points. Bozeman, Cody, Jackson Hole, Driggs - each and every one of these locations won't let me use points. Not a happy camper, at all.
Old May 21, 20, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Martellus View Post
I've been trying to use my points for any rental around the Yellowstone are to go one-way to SLC. Nothing works or takes points. Bozeman, Cody, Jackson Hole, Driggs - each and every one of these locations won't let me use points. Not a happy camper, at all.
Those might be Overland West franchises that own their fleet. One-ways are possibly allowed between their locations, but not necessarily to corporate stores.
m907 likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Did you call and try to book? I've found that often I can't book a week on points online but if I call, I get it.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Did you call and try to book? I've found that often I can't book a week on points online but if I call, I get it.
No luck. Called in and they said that one-way with points wasn't possible due to there being a "200-kilometer limit" or something.
Old May 22, 20, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Cashed out all but 5 of my Hertz points in February. Seems that’s worked out well given the Chapter 11 and the continued bubbling of the program to death by ducks and beancounters.
Old May 22, 20, 10:21 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by FlyingJayhawk12 View Post
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards has been useless for quite a while. Using points to pay for rentals has progressively become impossible. Are you saying that they have devalued their program even further?

The thing that really gets me riled up with Hertz is the fact that in the past, they have significantly devalued points (and have quietly removed program benefits) without any notice whatsoever which leaves the frequent customers (many of them here on FT) to distribute the word to the greater masses. It’s just generally terrible business practice which ruins any aspect of loyalty.

The only reason I continue to use Hertz is because they are the preferred rental car vendor for my company which is a very large Hertz corporate account. Before all of this COVID-19 BS, I was renting up to 100 cars per year. I wouldn’t hesitate to look elsewhere if I could.
I have had great success in using Hertz points for rentals, just about everywhere, FL, CA, ORD, you name it. And when the rates were low, I paid, like a 3 day SFO rental for $80 in January, even got a Benz in the Pres Circle area. I had purchased Hertz points in the Daily Getaway deal, which, combined with some eRewards redemptions for points, lasted quite a while and saved me thousands of dollars in rentals. I stopped collecting points for rentals, as once they devalued the weekly award rate, it didn't make sense and shifted to miles-mainly CX as they always had decent earning rates. I was going to top off my account for a weekly rental in CA in Sept, but I'll wait and see.
Old May 23, 20, 3:32 am

No luck. Called in and they said that one-way with points wasn't possible due to there being a "200-kilometer limit" or something.
All the Hertz locations around Yellowstone are owned by Overland West, a franchisee, as Auto Enthusiast mentioned. SLC is a corporate location so there are limits on one-ways from franchises to corporate locations because Overland West would have to bring the car back to their location. There are no one-way fees between Overland West locations, though.

Overland West has better cars and service than Hertz corporate, by the way.
Martellus and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 28, 20, 10:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
I just booked a rental in Cincinnati in September and there were zero rewards of any type available. It's hardly a high demand destination or time. I'm guessing they are so desperate for cash they simply don't care about any long-term hit to loyalty from essentially wiping out the rewards program.

Although I did reserve with Hertz, in the past that would have been final. I'm now checking around to see if I can save a few bucks with one of the competitors.
Old May 28, 20, 11:47 am

There's no point in paying extra for something that increasingly just isn't there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: