Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Gold Reward is now essentially useless

Hertz Gold Reward is now essentially useless

Old May 31, 20, 10:45 pm

Programs: BAEC(G); HH(G via AX Plt); SPG/MAR(T); Hz(PC); was [UA2P, WN A-, FL A+Elite, BD G, Hyatt P/GLB]
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
I just booked a rental in Cincinnati in September and there were zero rewards of any type available. It's hardly a high demand destination or time. I'm guessing they are so desperate for cash they simply don't care about any long-term hit to loyalty from essentially wiping out the rewards program.

Although I did reserve with Hertz, in the past that would have been final. I'm now checking around to see if I can save a few bucks with one of the competitors.
Did you call Hertz? I have been able to make award bookings on the phone when the website wouldn't offer that option.
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Southwest RR, HHonors, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by m907 View Post
All the Hertz locations around Yellowstone are owned by Overland West, a franchisee, as Auto Enthusiast mentioned. SLC is a corporate location so there are limits on one-ways from franchises to corporate locations because Overland West would have to bring the car back to their location. There are no one-way fees between Overland West locations, though.

Overland West has better cars and service than Hertz corporate, by the way.
How do you know if a HLE is corporate owned or franchise? Auburn, Alabama in particular. Are most HLE's that are at body shops/car dealerships franchises?
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:48 am

Had the same problem trying to book using points. Tried two different locations (including one that has taken points before). Hertz on Twitter just said they were looking into it.
Old Jun 1, 20, 12:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Seems like they're limiting Adrenaline Collection rentals via points as well as I can't find any availability on scattered dates.

Looks like their systems are down as I can't even log into my account now
FlyingJayhawk12 likes this.

Last edited by Jimgotkp; Jun 1, 20 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze View Post
How do you know if a HLE is corporate owned or franchise? Auburn, Alabama in particular. Are most HLE's that are at body shops/car dealerships franchises?
No. There are very few franchises left in most of the country. The location information section, of the website and in the reservation process, will show you. Most say, Location Type: Corporate. The rural Mountain West and parts of the rural Piedmont South will say, Location Type: Independent Licensee.
ChevyCruze and m907 like this.
Old Jun 5, 20, 12:10 pm

Programs: Lotz
I lucked out yesterday with a 3500pt week rental at Sarasota. (of course there's $80 in taxes and airport fees.)

Hertz just a couple weeks ago re-instated my 7K pts that they had let expire during coronavirus and I'm using them up.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jun 12, 20, 10:15 am

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
booking with points online was impossible for Washington DC area. So I called and as mentioned above, no more weekend point special so is 750/day. In addition, if you don't cancel within 24 of making the reservation, I think she said you only get back 25% of the points. You loose all if there is a no show.
Old Jun 17, 20, 8:20 pm

Are they still allowing the transfer of Hertz points to Marriott?
Old Jun 21, 20, 11:05 am

My experience, yours may vary

Originally Posted by ywang16 View Post
It hiked its redemption rate last year without any notice and cancelled weekend special rates. Now it is apparently imposing blackout dates on EVERY location and EVERY major travel time (including almost entire summer). I only found out today when I was trying to book my Thanksgiving Las Vegas trip which I'm 100% sure that in 2019 they don't blackout this period of time.

Essentially, Hertz is telling everyone that my reward program is useless and I will do everything to prevent you from actually using it or you pay the ridiculously doubled rate. I have been traveling a lot and used all kinds of loyalty programs and I have yet seen one company so despicable and bottomless like Hertz, considering its normal rental rate is already one of the highest if not the highest.
Just tried to book a Hertz reservation online, using points over the July 4th weekend, and seems like it's always the case anymore, said points are not available to be used for that desired rental. I have tried other cities on other dates, and saw the same message. Anyway, the point of this post (and you thought I'd never get to it...!), I just called up Hertz, talked to a very nice customer service agent, she put me on hold, and low and behold, I could use my points. Your "mileage" may vary.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: