FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:11 am
5khours

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by treepuppy
If you're curious, I think I gave a better summery of my situation in this SIA thread: Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

I admit that with everything that's happened in the last week, my mind feels a bit "broken" from lack of sleep and therefore, some of the things I've written these forums is maybe not clear. I apologize for that.

I have visited Japan about 12 times over the last 8 years, basically every time I've traveled between N. America and Asia, and I absolutely love Japan. It is my favorite country. I have several good friends there too

Back in February, I had plans to fly to Japan via Taiwan. Then in March Taiwan announced it was banning all foreigners. Now transiting is not even allowed.

I actually bought Skype credit just to call the "hotline number for foreigners" in Japan, so I got an answer to my question. Yes, they told me on the phone that the accommodation could be somewhere of my choosing for 14 days. I was planning to stay with a friend at their house in a small town outside of Kobe, so that could work. Though they do not have a car to pick-up me. On the phone (don't know if this is correct or not), but they said that taxis are considered "public transit." So I am uncertain how I would get from KIX to my friend's home. My friend said don't worry about it and we'll figure it out somehow. The friend things that a taxi would be okay. I'm also not sick.. don't have symptoms.. and I am bringing 100 masks with me that I will wear at all times. So I do not consider myself a risk to anyone. Also, Singapore has a very low rate of COVID-19.

I am concerned about two things. 1) My flight(s) to Japan have all been cancelled. I am losing hope. I keep booking a flight.. and it gets canceled. I am still trying to find a way. 2) What if Japan decides to ban U.S passport holders after I booked the flight but before I take the flight. I hope not, but it could happen. I have not been in the U.S since early 2019. But from what I saw with Japan banning Europeans. The bans seem to be attached to your passport??
1. We have answered all of these questions before.
2. There are no restrictions on coming to Japan from Singapore unless you have been in another restricted country in the last 14 days. HAVE YOU BEEN IN ANY COUNTRIES BESIDES SINGAPORE?
3. If the answer to the question above is NO. Just get on a flight to Tokyo. All of the ANA and JAL flights are flying as scheduled with plenty of availability.... as are most but not all of the SQ flights. Out of 10 flights in the last two days, there has only been one cancellation. It's an easy train ride from Tokyo to Osaka.
4. All the stuff about taxis, masks, where you are going to stay are irrelevant because there are NO restrictions on flying into Japan from Singapore.
5. If you expect people on this forum to help you, you might want to not wait 2 days to respond after they have spent considerable time and effort finding the answers for you.