Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

I've searched all over the Internet it seems, but I cannot find any information what-so-ever. I figure maybe there is someone here in this thread who has some information.

I explained in another thread, but I am still trying to make it to Japan. I have been overseas for many years and I am a U.S citizen, but I have no "home" in the U.S and now is NOT the time for apartment / house searching in the U.S during the crisis. Also my city and state in the U.S are one of the worse affected.

Japan is half-way between Singapore and the U.S and I intend to try to stay there. There is no way to stay longer in Singapore as they are asking all people on a visitor pass to leave before the end of their stay as usual. But this is not about me. I just want to ask sincerely.. what kind of accommodation are people under the 14-day quarantine in Japan.. where are those people being placed?

I have read there are "designated" places for foreigners to serve their quarantine but I cannot find any examples online about where these people are being placed. How much will it cost? I'm okay with being quarantined if need be. I am not even sick. I just would like to find any information about where people are being placed and what the cost will be so I can prepare. At this point, I am prepared, I just need some information if anyone knows.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by treepuppy
I've searched all over the Internet it seems, but I cannot find any information what-so-ever. I figure maybe there is someone here in this thread who has some information.

I explained in another thread, but I am still trying to make it to Japan. I have been overseas for many years and I am a U.S citizen, but I have no "home" in the U.S and now is NOT the time for apartment / house searching in the U.S during the crisis. Also my city and state in the U.S are one of the worse affected.

Japan is half-way between Singapore and the U.S and I intend to try to stay there. There is no way to stay longer in Singapore as they are asking all people on a visitor pass to leave before the end of their stay as usual. But this is not about me. I just want to ask sincerely.. what kind of accommodation are people under the 14-day quarantine in Japan.. where are those people being placed?

I have read there are "designated" places for foreigners to serve their quarantine but I cannot find any examples online about where these people are being placed. How much will it cost? I'm okay with being quarantined if need be. I am not even sick. I just would like to find any information about where people are being placed and what the cost will be so I can prepare. At this point, I am prepared, I just need some information if anyone knows.
Currently travelers from Singapore are not required to quarantine unless they have been in a designated country/area in the last 14 days.

Quarantine is self-quarantine at home or a hotel. You should have hotel reservation in advance at your own expense.

If you are subject to quarantine, you may not use any public transport including buses and taxi. This applies to getting to your hotel as well.

The information is here, but unfortunately it's in Japanese. I can't find anything in English
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakuni...0001.html#Q4-1
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
This is a thread for "Coronavirus impact in Japan" - i.e. the general situation, so you might want to ask a moderator to move your question to its own thread.

Piecing together the facts of your situation is rather difficult for me (I haven't see the other thread you refer to), but here are a couple of thoughts that might help:
From your post, I surmise that you're currently staying in Singapore and you hold a US passport. Japan's 14 day self-quarantine currently applies to people who have been in 38 countries (including Schengen zone, Iran, and Egypt). AFAIK, Singapore is not on the list. You mentioned upthread that your ticket is for early April. The rules might change by then.

Given the rapidly changing situation, I wish the following article were a bit more recent (it's from March 6th), but I think the current thinking is probably the same:
https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/p...602000268.html
<< People who are far away from home or foreigners visiting Japan will be asked to stay at hotels and other hotels where they have made reservations. It was not a measure of the quarantine law but a "request only" and was not enforced. Accommodation and transportation costs may be borne by you. >>
<< According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, there will be no follow-up on arrival. Avoid public transportation to your home or hotel and ask for your own car. If you do not know where you will be staying, you will be introduced to the facilities designated by the quarantine station >>

I believe that the "facilities designated by the quarantine station" are likely to be airport hotels around your arrival airport. Since costs are borne by the traveller, my recommendation would be to check current prices on Rakuten travel or your preferred website. My suggestion would be to identify airport hotels that have 14 days availability - and make a booking for one night (or a refundable booking for longer). If the quarantine rules change and it turns out that you are advised to subject yourself to a 14 day self-quarantine, you can tell the agents that you have a reservation at a specific hotel. I think it's likely that they will let you go there. I do not recommend booking a hotel in Tokyo, since people in self-quarantine not permitted to use public transportation. Taxi fare to Tokyo is very costly.

Personally, if I were in the situation that I imagine you're in, I would look at Taiwan rather than Japan as a safe haven to hunker down in for the next few months. Living costs are much cheaper and the Taiwanese authorities appear to have a good grip on the coronavirus situation. Taiwan's East Coast has some very laid back towns where I could happily spend some months.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

-You will be expected to quarantine at your own expense. But that could change very quickly, to the model of Taiwan/Singapore/HK.
-Note that you will not be allowed entry to Taiwan , even for transit. That will begin tomorrow 3/24 ! Perhaps you can get on a flight to Bali or take a ferry to Batam , if they are still allowing entry ?
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
-You will be expected to quarantine at your own expense. But that could change very quickly, to the model of Taiwan/Singapore/HK.
-Note that you will not be allowed entry to Taiwan , even for transit. That will begin tomorrow 3/24 ! Perhaps you can get on a flight to Bali or take a ferry to Batam , if they are still allowing entry ?
I'm 99% sure that Indonesia has canceled their visa waiver program? I read that somewhere, but I am unsure if that's true. I'm pretty sure there are not any countries in SE Asia accepting foreigners right now. Can anyone confirm if that's true or not? I don't know whether a small country like Laos, etc. are accepting foreigners right now, but I doubt there would be any flights to these small countries since 97% of Singapore Airlines flights have been cancelled.. and frankly, I cannot find any tickets available on SQ's web site right now.. I'm searching dates that are supposedly not cancelled but don't see any tickets.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
This is a thread for "Coronavirus impact in Japan" - i.e. the general situation, so you might want to ask a moderator to move your question to its own thread.

Piecing together the facts of your situation is rather difficult for me (I haven't see the other thread you refer to), but here are a couple of thoughts that might help:
From your post, I surmise that you're currently staying in Singapore and you hold a US passport. Japan's 14 day self-quarantine currently applies to people who have been in 38 countries (including Schengen zone, Iran, and Egypt). AFAIK, Singapore is not on the list. You mentioned upthread that your ticket is for early April. The rules might change by then.

Given the rapidly changing situation, I wish the following article were a bit more recent (it's from March 6th), but I think the current thinking is probably the same:
https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/p...602000268.html
<< People who are far away from home or foreigners visiting Japan will be asked to stay at hotels and other hotels where they have made reservations. It was not a measure of the quarantine law but a "request only" and was not enforced. Accommodation and transportation costs may be borne by you. >>
<< According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, there will be no follow-up on arrival. Avoid public transportation to your home or hotel and ask for your own car. If you do not know where you will be staying, you will be introduced to the facilities designated by the quarantine station >>

I believe that the "facilities designated by the quarantine station" are likely to be airport hotels around your arrival airport. Since costs are borne by the traveller, my recommendation would be to check current prices on Rakuten travel or your preferred website. My suggestion would be to identify airport hotels that have 14 days availability - and make a booking for one night (or a refundable booking for longer). If the quarantine rules change and it turns out that you are advised to subject yourself to a 14 day self-quarantine, you can tell the agents that you have a reservation at a specific hotel. I think it's likely that they will let you go there. I do not recommend booking a hotel in Tokyo, since people in self-quarantine not permitted to use public transportation. Taxi fare to Tokyo is very costly.

Personally, if I were in the situation that I imagine you're in, I would look at Taiwan rather than Japan as a safe haven to hunker down in for the next few months. Living costs are much cheaper and the Taiwanese authorities appear to have a good grip on the coronavirus situation. Taiwan's East Coast has some very laid back towns where I could happily spend some months.
If you're curious, I think I gave a better summery of my situation in this SIA thread: Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

I admit that with everything that's happened in the last week, my mind feels a bit "broken" from lack of sleep and therefore, some of the things I've written these forums is maybe not clear. I apologize for that.

I have visited Japan about 12 times over the last 8 years, basically every time I've traveled between N. America and Asia, and I absolutely love Japan. It is my favorite country. I have several good friends there too

Back in February, I had plans to fly to Japan via Taiwan. Then in March Taiwan announced it was banning all foreigners. Now transiting is not even allowed.

I actually bought Skype credit just to call the "hotline number for foreigners" in Japan, so I got an answer to my question. Yes, they told me on the phone that the accommodation could be somewhere of my choosing for 14 days. I was planning to stay with a friend at their house in a small town outside of Kobe, so that could work. Though they do not have a car to pick-up me. On the phone (don't know if this is correct or not), but they said that taxis are considered "public transit." So I am uncertain how I would get from KIX to my friend's home. My friend said don't worry about it and we'll figure it out somehow. The friend things that a taxi would be okay. I'm also not sick.. don't have symptoms.. and I am bringing 100 masks with me that I will wear at all times. So I do not consider myself a risk to anyone. Also, Singapore has a very low rate of COVID-19.

I am concerned about two things. 1) My flight(s) to Japan have all been cancelled. I am losing hope. I keep booking a flight.. and it gets canceled. I am still trying to find a way. 2) What if Japan decides to ban U.S passport holders after I booked the flight but before I take the flight. I hope not, but it could happen. I have not been in the U.S since early 2019. But from what I saw with Japan banning Europeans. The bans seem to be attached to your passport??
Old Mar 25, 2020, 5:11 am

If you're curious, I think I gave a better summery of my situation in this SIA thread: Searching SQ's site for places/dates not officially cancelled, but no tix available?

I admit that with everything that's happened in the last week, my mind feels a bit "broken" from lack of sleep and therefore, some of the things I've written these forums is maybe not clear. I apologize for that.

I have visited Japan about 12 times over the last 8 years, basically every time I've traveled between N. America and Asia, and I absolutely love Japan. It is my favorite country. I have several good friends there too

Back in February, I had plans to fly to Japan via Taiwan. Then in March Taiwan announced it was banning all foreigners. Now transiting is not even allowed.

I actually bought Skype credit just to call the "hotline number for foreigners" in Japan, so I got an answer to my question. Yes, they told me on the phone that the accommodation could be somewhere of my choosing for 14 days. I was planning to stay with a friend at their house in a small town outside of Kobe, so that could work. Though they do not have a car to pick-up me. On the phone (don't know if this is correct or not), but they said that taxis are considered "public transit." So I am uncertain how I would get from KIX to my friend's home. My friend said don't worry about it and we'll figure it out somehow. The friend things that a taxi would be okay. I'm also not sick.. don't have symptoms.. and I am bringing 100 masks with me that I will wear at all times. So I do not consider myself a risk to anyone. Also, Singapore has a very low rate of COVID-19.

I am concerned about two things. 1) My flight(s) to Japan have all been cancelled. I am losing hope. I keep booking a flight.. and it gets canceled. I am still trying to find a way. 2) What if Japan decides to ban U.S passport holders after I booked the flight but before I take the flight. I hope not, but it could happen. I have not been in the U.S since early 2019. But from what I saw with Japan banning Europeans. The bans seem to be attached to your passport??
1. We have answered all of these questions before.
2. There are no restrictions on coming to Japan from Singapore unless you have been in another restricted country in the last 14 days. HAVE YOU BEEN IN ANY COUNTRIES BESIDES SINGAPORE?
3. If the answer to the question above is NO. Just get on a flight to Tokyo. All of the ANA and JAL flights are flying as scheduled with plenty of availability.... as are most but not all of the SQ flights. Out of 10 flights in the last two days, there has only been one cancellation. It's an easy train ride from Tokyo to Osaka.
4. All the stuff about taxis, masks, where you are going to stay are irrelevant because there are NO restrictions on flying into Japan from Singapore.
5. If you expect people on this forum to help you, you might want to not wait 2 days to respond after they have spent considerable time and effort finding the answers for you.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 8:05 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Note: this thread was broken off from the main coronavirus discussion thread (Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]).

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
LapLap and jib71 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by 5khours
1. We have answered all of these questions before.
2. There are no restrictions on coming to Japan from Singapore unless you have been in another restricted country in the last 14 days. HAVE YOU BEEN IN ANY COUNTRIES BESIDES SINGAPORE?
3. If the answer to the question above is NO. Just get on a flight to Tokyo. All of the ANA and JAL flights are flying as scheduled with plenty of availability.... as are most but not all of the SQ flights. Out of 10 flights in the last two days, there has only been one cancellation. It's an easy train ride from Tokyo to Osaka.
4. All the stuff about taxis, masks, where you are going to stay are irrelevant because there are NO restrictions on flying into Japan from Singapore.
5. If you expect people on this forum to help you, you might want to not wait 2 days to respond after they have spent considerable time and effort finding the answers for you.
I had a flight to Japan that was cancelled for 31 March. I am checking other flights as much as I can. The confusing thing is the SQ web site is showing no flights available to Haneda ot KIX, even though there should be flights available. I have reached out to SQ via social media, but they have not addressed this question.

For most Europeans, I believe from what I read on Japan Times that the bans were based on your physical presence in those countries "banned" as well as your actual passport. For example, people holding an Icelandic passport had the visa waiver for Japan suspended. So if they hold an Icelandic passport, but have not been in Iceland for months, etc. they would still be denied entry to Japan.

I keep reading on Japanese news sources and forums that it is expected that Japan will announce similar restrictions for U.S passport holders. That is the reason why you are seeing my questions about passports. I have not been in any of the affected countries on the list.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:50 pm

I had a flight to Japan that was cancelled for 31 March. I am checking other flights as much as I can. The confusing thing is the SQ web site is showing no flights available to Haneda ot KIX, even though there should be flights available. I have reached out to SQ via social media, but they have not addressed this question.
Looks like SG has a flight to Tokyo on March 29th. NH has a flight to Tokyo on March 31st. No good?

For most Europeans, I believe from what I read on Japan Times that the bans were based on your physical presence in those countries "banned" as well as your actual passport. For example, people holding an Icelandic passport had the visa waiver for Japan suspended. So if they hold an Icelandic passport, but have not been in Iceland for months, etc. they would still be denied entry to Japan..
Can you post a link to the article?

I keep reading on Japanese news sources and forums that it is expected that Japan will announce similar restrictions for U.S passport holders. That is the reason why you are seeing my questions about passports. I have not been in any of the affected countries on the list.
Which sources are telling you that there are existing restrictions for European passport holders and anticipated restrictions for US passport holders? Post links or screenshots please.
Japanese Ministry of Justice website states that "Foreigners who have stayed in any of the following cities/provinces/regions within 14 days prior to the application for landing:" will be denied entry. Iceland is listed as one of the territories. I don't see any statement that Icelandic passport holders will be denied entry on the basis of their nationality. Entry is restricted on the basis of travel history.
The Ministry of Justice?Information related to New Coronavirus Infection(COVID-19) from Immigration Services Agency
As you know, people in this forum have repeatedly said the same thing - Unless you have travelled to a listed area, there is no restriction to prevent you entering Japan with a US passport. If you have reasons for doubting that, the onus is on you to show your research. Just repeating the question as if we're duty bound to do more research for you is kind of rude.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:18 am

Which sources are telling you that there are existing restrictions for European passport holders and anticipated restrictions for US passport holders? Post links or screenshots please.
Japanese Ministry of Justice website states that "Foreigners who have stayed in any of the following cities/provinces/regions within 14 days prior to the application for landing:" will be denied entry. Iceland is listed as one of the territories. I don't see any statement that Icelandic passport holders will be denied entry on the basis of their nationality. Entry is restricted on the basis of travel history.
The Ministry of Justice?Information related to New Coronavirus Infection(COVID-19) from Immigration Services Agency
As you know, people in this forum have repeatedly said the same thing - Unless you have travelled to a listed area, there is no restriction to prevent you entering Japan with a US passport. If you have reasons for doubting that, the onus is on you to show your research. Just repeating the question as if we're duty bound to do more research for you is kind of rude.
+1000. The link to the government site I provided three days ago clearly says, nationality is not factor. If you're going to ignore the advice here, yu should expect you will not get any further responses to your inquiries.
Takubon and Silver Fox like this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Exclamation

Can you post a link to the article?

I went back through my links, and found I saw the information on the Japanese embassy in Washington D.C's web site: https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/j/dow...ORONAVIRUS.pdf

"The People's Republic of China (3/8) The Republic of Croatia(3/20) The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region(3/8) The Republic of San Marino(3/20) The Macau Special Administrative Region(3/8) The Republic of Cyprus(3/20) The Republic of Korea(3/8) The Islamic Republic of Iran(3/20) The Vatican City State(3/20) The Arab Republic of Egypt(3/20) The Republic of Bulgaria(3/20) The Republic of Ireland(3/20) The Principality of Monaco(3/20) The Principality of Andorra(3/20) Romania(3/20) The United Kingdom(3/20) The Schengen Area(3/20)

2. The application of visa exemption arrangements for the countries/regions listed above will be temporarily suspended."

Last edited by FlyingSloth; Mar 26, 2020 at 6:59 am
Old Mar 26, 2020, 7:28 am

2. The application of visa exemption arrangements for the countries/regions listed above will be temporarily suspended."
Interesting - If you travel on a passport from one of the listed countries / regions, you will need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. The US is not listed.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Effective 26 March 2020, passengers arriving from the USA are requested to stay at the location designated by a quarantine station chief for 14 days and to not use public transportation in Japan.
Is this different from being able to self-quarantine at one's hotel or apartment? I am not going to Japan anytime soon, but my friend is supposed to go back to a work training facility next month -- facility still very much open. I realise it may not be open by then. But still curious if he will be able to go home, to a hotel, or to some kind of government quarantine facility.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:41 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Is this different from being able to self-quarantine at one's hotel or apartment? I am not going to Japan anytime soon, but my friend is supposed to go back to a work training facility next month -- facility still very much open. I realise it may not be open by then. But still curious if he will be able to go home, to a hotel, or to some kind of government quarantine facility.
I hear that you can stay in an hotel, but you would have to drive yourself/have someone pick you up to do it.

Maybe then stay at the NRT Nine Cabins?
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.