FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual-Citizen Canadians must have a Canadian Passport to fly to Canada
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:54 pm
TemboOne

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
I have dual Canadian/Irish passports and when flying to Europe always use my Canadian passport in the APIs as I'm not sure it can be changed and my US visa is in my Canadian passport. When I arrive in the UK/Europe, I just use my Irish passport with the E-Gates (even though it wasn't pre-registered) and have never had an issue.
Not sure if I'm doing it correctly though.
Well that's interesting as one of our other passports is Irish too (born in Dublin!).
We always use our Irish Passports in the API because they permit easier and sometimes longer visa-free access to some countries.

We've never tried to use the E-Gates but from what we've read it seems that pre-registration is not essential. Schengen might be a little more picky though!

Still wish AC had provisions for travellers to use two different passports in the API for outbound and inbound flights.

This would have caught the problem for the captioned traveller as it would have highlighted the need for an ETA on the British Passport to return to Canada using this travel document, and the fact that as a Canadian Citizen he cannot obtain a Canadian ETA!