FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 25% default tip !
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2019, 8:55 pm
Badenoch
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by closecover
Whenever the wait staff hands me the payment machine to calculate the tip and enter my pin on the total amount, they always look over my shoulder to see what amount I enter as my tip. In fact one time after I entered my tip, the server yelled out "OH C'MON!" (This was for a relatively standard 15% tip). I prefer the US system where they hand you the bill in the little book after running it through and then walk away to leave you alone to calculate the tip.
I've never had a server attempt to look over my shoulder or comment on the tip amount. Did you make an issue of it at the restaurant?

One last thing, I have been told by a banker friend of mine that the Durbin Amendment is the reason why there is not widespread acceptance of the chip and pin cards in the U.S. as there is in other countries. So it does not appear to be an issue of Americans not being able to handle emerging payment technologies. Since the Durbin Amendment is so highly regarded in other areas, I don't see the US joining the rest of the world on this matter anytime soon.
Did he explain why limiting debit card merchant fees would cause banks not to introduce chip and pin? The Durbin Amendment doesn't apply to credit cards only debit.