FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The first carry-on with three compartments
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:37 pm
becharted

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Would have to offer a huge step up with no downside, but looks interesting, cost? For those already with a high end Rimowa, BR, Tumi would have to be huge to cause people to move, or a great value, or image collector wants something different as a wild goose conversational starter!
The FT link is at $375, includes the luggage, protective sleeve and 6 travel accessories that go in each compartment (3 of which are made of a high quality leather). Free shipping/returns and 5-year no questions asked warranty for repair/replacement. I had the Rimowa aluminum classic, the big thing for me to make the switch was I hated setting my Rimowa down in order to get what I needed. I always brought a small weekender on top of the Rimowa for my quick access items, and it is nice to have everything in one case while still keeping it accessible at all times. Obviously the price-point being more than 50% lower helped.

Every divider I've seen takes some valuable space and inconvenience, can the dividers be removed ? I once talked luggage with a fellow roadwarrior, his first action with every piece of luggage, cut everything out of it.
Totally agree with the dividers. There is only one divider that separates the two front compartments, but this can be released to create one large compartment as opposed to two smaller ones.

Hard shell have their fans/advantages, but really like the soft BR for ability to stretch just a little bit when I am lazy with my packing or just want to / have to squeeze a little more with my return.
Love that you mentioned that. There is a mesh shell/fabric on the back of the front compartment which has a lot of give/pull so if you over-stuff the main compartment or the front compartment, it will stretch to fit. Probably not to the extent of your soft BR but better than most hard shells. With HBO, I can usually fit a week without any issues but haven't needed to push it much beyond that. How long do you usually travel for if your HBO?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have an old wheeled Hartmann that's carry on size and has three compartments. As stated, the "first" claim is incorrect.
Fair point! It's patented on three separate hinging compartments, but not necessarily three compartments. Mods, please feel free to update thread to "The first carry-on with three separate hinging compartments"

Thanks for calling it out.