Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

The first carry-on with three compartments

The first carry-on with three compartments

Old Aug 14, 19, 12:20 am

Had to scroll to nearly the bottom of the Indiegogo page to find the weight.

I live in Asia, where the carry-on allowance is very often limited to 7kg (Y class). This carry-on weighs 3.98kg; that's over half the allowance. If it was under 2kg I might be interested.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by DragonSoul View Post
Great call out! Weight has been added to the top overview section now.

I live in Asia, where the carry-on allowance is very often limited to 7kg (Y class). This carry-on weighs 3.98kg; that's over half the allowance. If it was under 2kg I might be interested.
The ABS exterior is supposed to make things a bit lighter already. I think if you were to take out all of the accessories that are included you could lose a kg or so but not sure if would get under 2kg. I know the team is looking at even lighter materials like kevlar for future iterations, though it feels pretty light to me right now when it's completely empty.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: DL GM/SC; GE; Marriott PPE; IHG Spire
Looks like a nice bag but definitely not the first carry on with three compartments. I have an old Samsonite that's not hard-sided but otherwise the structure is the same, with a small outer compartment on top and a larger one below.
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShopAround View Post
Looks like a nice bag but definitely not the first carry on with three compartments. I have an old Samsonite that's not hard-sided but otherwise the structure is the same, with a small outer compartment on top and a larger one below.
thank you! yes you're right. it's the first with three hinging compartments, thread title was a mistake on my part.

How do you like the Samsonite? What types of things are you able to pack in the two outer compartments? From what I've seen most bags that have that have added it as a zippered extension to the regular main baggage space, which means it's a bit limited in terms of what you can put in there since you're likely to have already packed the main space full. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL GM/SC; GE; Marriott PPE; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by becharted View Post
How do you like the Samsonite? What types of things are you able to pack in the two outer compartments? From what I've seen most bags that have that have added it as a zippered extension to the regular main baggage space, which means it's a bit limited in terms of what you can put in there since you're likely to have already packed the main space full. Curious to hear your thoughts.
I've had the Samsonite for many years and have a matching tote with a trolley sleeve that slips over the handle. They're both still in excellent condition considering how much use I've gotten out of them.

The outer pockets aren't very deep but I've used them for all kinds of things I want easily accessible: magazines, scarves, a crushable hat, a large Longchamp pliage bag, snacks. Makes no difference if the inner space is full or if it's expanded, the outer compartment spaces don't change. When I check luggage, I use a polycarbonate Rimowa but the Samsonite works fine for carry on.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold

I ended up using the TravelPro MaxLite 5 Soft Tote https://travelpro.com/collections/ma...19641784762466 for Aer Lingus regional. It isn't quite as large as they allow but it only weighs 1.6lb/0.73kg and still easily hits 7kg when full! I discovered that, at least on my flights, they were very slack about what people brought on - read 22" wheelies! - but that isn't true of many Europoean carriers.
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ShopAround View Post
I've had the Samsonite for many years and have a matching tote with a trolley sleeve that slips over the handle. They're both still in excellent condition considering how much use I've gotten out of them.

The outer pockets aren't very deep but I've used them for all kinds of things I want easily accessible: magazines, scarves, a crushable hat, a large Longchamp pliage bag, snacks. Makes no difference if the inner space is full or if it's expanded, the outer compartment spaces don't change. When I check luggage, I use a polycarbonate Rimowa but the Samsonite works fine for carry on.
Thanks for the insight! sounds like you've got a great system that works for you. do you carry a laptop or any electronics with you? I'm assuming they go in the matching tote? Do you ever wish there was something you wish you could fit in the outer pockets but can't?

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
I ended up using the TravelPro MaxLite 5 Soft Tote https://travelpro.com/collections/ma...19641784762466 for Aer Lingus regional. It isn't quite as large as they allow but it only weighs 1.6lb/0.73kg and still easily hits 7kg when full! I discovered that, at least on my flights, they were very slack about what people brought on - read 22" wheelies! - but that isn't true of many Europoean carriers.
Awesome! Yeah if you're trying to keep it as light as possible, then I think a soft carry-on like you suggested is the way to go. People will always get away with more than they are allowed