Wiki Posts
Search

The first carry-on with three compartments

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
The first carry-on with three compartments

This thread is being posted after consultation with Moderator Wharvey.

Hey FT!

If you're like me and 99% of your travel is HBO even when your checked baggage allowance is 3x, then you probably need a lot from your carry-on. It's by your side during check-in, at the lounge, on-board, at the hotel, maybe even in meetings. I've tried a lot of other options but what I think is really interesting about Barmes is I can get whatever I need from my case without having to set it down. It's a huge benefit of the 3 compartment design. It also comes with a bunch of travel accessories, some of which are a soft leather and feel pretty luxurious.

Full disclosure: this is not my company but I am working with them to offer suggestions on how to make frequent flyer travel easy. It always surprises me that none of the big luggage guys care to consult people like us that travel every week but still want something that doesn't look like we're stuck in the 90s. Anyway, if you're interested they just launched on Indiegogo and this link saves FTers $125 from the regular price: bit.ly/barmesdesign

I'm posting this because I want to know your wish list. What are the things you always wished your carry on could do? What are your favorite things about your current carry-on? What are the things you hate most? What does the ideal luggage look like for you? Now is the chance to make that happen. I'm also here to answer any questions you have about the luggage, or if you want to know how it compares to your Tumi, AWAY, Rimowa, B&R, etc.

Fire away!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by becharted
This thread is being posted after consultation with Moderator Wharvey.

Hey FT!

If you're like me and 99% of your travel is HBO even when your checked baggage allowance is 3x, then you probably need a lot from your carry-on. It's by your side during check-in, at the lounge, on-board, at the hotel, maybe even in meetings. I've tried a lot of other options but what I think is really interesting about Barmes is I can get whatever I need from my case without having to set it down. It's a huge benefit of the 3 compartment design. It also comes with a bunch of travel accessories, some of which are a soft leather and feel pretty luxurious.

Full disclosure: this is not my company but I am working with them to offer suggestions on how to make frequent flyer travel easy. It always surprises me that none of the big luggage guys care to consult people like us that travel every week but still want something that doesn't look like we're stuck in the 90s. Anyway, if you're interested they just launched on Indiegogo and this link saves FTers $125 from the regular price: bit.ly/barmesdesign

I'm posting this because I want to know your wish list. What are the things you always wished your carry on could do? What are your favorite things about your current carry-on? What are the things you hate most? What does the ideal luggage look like for you? Now is the chance to make that happen. I'm also here to answer any questions you have about the luggage, or if you want to know how it compares to your Tumi, AWAY, Rimowa, B&R, etc.

Fire away!
This is pretty interesting.
I'd hope there is a (zippered?) net over each of the compartments that can be opened "vertically" at the start.

And what about a permanent hook/strap to attach a tote or such. Strap should be out of the way when not being used.

Good luck!

GC
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
This is pretty interesting.
I'd hope there is a (zippered?) net over each of the compartments that can be opened "vertically" at the start.

And what about a permanent hook/strap to attach a tote or such. Strap should be out of the way when not being used.

Good luck!

GC
Great questions! The main compartment does have an interior zip bag which acts as the lining. It's meant to be accessible vertically, which is where the packing cubes come in. So you just open it and grab a cube or to put one in. The front two compartments are lined with suede and although there's no zip in the compartment itself, the accessories included in the compartment are zippered.

The laptop bag that's included slides over the handle if you want to open up the lower compartment for more storage. There's no external hook or strap on this model, but I know they're looking at introducing it soon!
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Great questions! The main compartment does have an interior zip bag which acts as the lining. It's meant to be accessible vertically, which is where the packing cubes come in. So you just open it and grab a cube or to put one in. The front two compartments are lined with suede and although there's no zip in the compartment itself, the accessories included in the compartment are zippered.

The laptop bag that's included slides over the handle if you want to open up the lower compartment for more storage. There's no external hook or strap on this model, but I know they're looking at introducing it soon!
Sorry if not clear. Would want a "cover" (see through, hence netting, like Eagle Creek), but do NOT want to be forced to remove item. Just unzip the "cover", grab item (or return it), and zip up, close compartment.

And I know that many smaller bags have the "slipover" slot ability. I'm talking about a tote.
Perhaps you need to think more about female travelers, business or not.

GC
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Sorry if not clear. Would want a "cover" (see through, hence netting, like Eagle Creek), but do NOT want to be forced to remove item. Just unzip the "cover", grab item (or return it), and zip up, close compartment.

And I know that many smaller bags have the "slipover" slot ability. I'm talking about a tote.
Perhaps you need to think more about female travelers, business or not.

GC
Got it. Yes the three compartment packing cubes are a mix of mesh/netted as well as solid just in case some items you don't want visible. So you would be able to do exactly as you said. See what you want, unzip, grab the item, return it, close compartment — all without setting your luggage down. Making the entire compartment netted is interesting, definitely something to consider in the next iteration.

Yeah the tote hook isn't on this one. But it definitely should be on the next one! Great idea
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Would have to offer a huge step up with no downside, but looks interesting, cost? For those already with a high end Rimowa, BR, Tumi would have to be huge to cause people to move, or a great value, or image collector wants something different as a wild goose conversational starter!

Every divider I've seen takes some valuable space and inconvenience, can the dividers be removed ? I once talked luggage with a fellow roadwarrior, his first action with every piece of luggage, cut everything out of it.

Hard shell have their fans/advantages, but really like the soft BR for ability to stretch just a little bit when I am lazy with my packing or just want to / have to squeeze a little more with my return.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I have an old wheeled Hartmann that's carry on size and has three compartments. As stated, the "first" claim is incorrect.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Would have to offer a huge step up with no downside, but looks interesting, cost? For those already with a high end Rimowa, BR, Tumi would have to be huge to cause people to move, or a great value, or image collector wants something different as a wild goose conversational starter!
The FT link is at $375, includes the luggage, protective sleeve and 6 travel accessories that go in each compartment (3 of which are made of a high quality leather). Free shipping/returns and 5-year no questions asked warranty for repair/replacement. I had the Rimowa aluminum classic, the big thing for me to make the switch was I hated setting my Rimowa down in order to get what I needed. I always brought a small weekender on top of the Rimowa for my quick access items, and it is nice to have everything in one case while still keeping it accessible at all times. Obviously the price-point being more than 50% lower helped.

Every divider I've seen takes some valuable space and inconvenience, can the dividers be removed ? I once talked luggage with a fellow roadwarrior, his first action with every piece of luggage, cut everything out of it.
Totally agree with the dividers. There is only one divider that separates the two front compartments, but this can be released to create one large compartment as opposed to two smaller ones.

Hard shell have their fans/advantages, but really like the soft BR for ability to stretch just a little bit when I am lazy with my packing or just want to / have to squeeze a little more with my return.
Love that you mentioned that. There is a mesh shell/fabric on the back of the front compartment which has a lot of give/pull so if you over-stuff the main compartment or the front compartment, it will stretch to fit. Probably not to the extent of your soft BR but better than most hard shells. With HBO, I can usually fit a week without any issues but haven't needed to push it much beyond that. How long do you usually travel for if your HBO?

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have an old wheeled Hartmann that's carry on size and has three compartments. As stated, the "first" claim is incorrect.
Fair point! It's patented on three separate hinging compartments, but not necessarily three compartments. Mods, please feel free to update thread to "The first carry-on with three separate hinging compartments"

Thanks for calling it out.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:05 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
The FT link is at $375, includes the luggage, protective sleeve and 6 travel accessories that go in each compartment (3 of which are made of a high quality leather). Free shipping/returns and 5-year no questions asked warranty for repair/replacement. I had the Rimowa aluminum classic, the big thing for me to make the switch was I hated setting my Rimowa down in order to get what I needed. I always brought a small weekender on top of the Rimowa for my quick access items, and it is nice to have everything in one case while still keeping it accessible at all times. Obviously the price-point being more than 50% lower helped.
Dang, that is a pretty good price point, sadly my BR looks to got a lot of years left, and I still have two hartmanns that refuse to die, and my wife's and daughter's old carry-on that continue to roll....... Sadly I can only roll one on board
becharted likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:41 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
The dimensions are odd - not enough in one dimension and too much in another. At 35.8cm wide, it's less than most airlines' 40cm maximum width, so it doesn't maximise potential internal space. And its depth of 22.9cm is too deep for the likes of Ryanair.

I would like to see a built-in Li-ion battery that cannot be quickly removed without tools, so that airlines cannot choose to gate-check it, but cannot deny it entry to the cabin.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NFH
The dimensions are odd - not enough in one dimension and too much in another. At 35.8cm wide, it's less than most airlines' 40cm maximum width, so it doesn't maximise potential internal space. And its depth of 22.9cm is too deep for the likes of Ryanair.
Most US airlines cap it at 36cm which is why this one's at 35.8cm. Yes Ryanair caps depth at 20cm though I would say they are the exception as most other international airlines are OK up to 23cm.

Originally Posted by NFH
I would like to see a built-in Li-ion battery that cannot be quickly removed without tools, so that airlines cannot choose to gate-check it, but cannot deny it entry to the cabin.
Interesting you say that as I thought having a non-removable battery (or a battery at all for that matter) would be seen as a big no-no. Personal preference I guess.
NFH likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:38 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Interesting you say that as I thought having a non-removable battery (or a battery at all for that matter) would be seen as a big no-no. Personal preference I guess.
The whole point of a non-removable battery (from my point of view) is to ensure that the case must go into the cabin and that it's a big no-no for it to be checked into the hold, for example at the gate. It creates a problem for the airline but an ideal scenario for the passenger.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NFH
The whole point of a non-removable battery (from my point of view) is to ensure that the case must go into the cabin and that it's a big no-no for it to be checked into the hold, for example at the gate. It creates a problem for the airline but an ideal scenario for the passenger.
Pretty sure if it's not-removable the airline won't accept it as carry-on or checked baggage, at least in the US. Maybe someone can validate that.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Pretty sure if it's not-removable the airline won't accept it as carry-on or checked baggage, at least in the US. Maybe someone can validate that.
This thread seems to cover it - note that it is an IATA rule: Smart Luggage Battery Restrictions

As to size, it seems to be impossible to have a one size fits all carry-on, or even one that makes the best of a bad job. A sort of Lego bag that can be assembled in various sizes seems to be the answer! I bought a bag for Aer Lingus regional (Stobart) only to find people carrying on normal 22" bags which are way over the official size.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil
A sort of Lego bag that can be assembled in various sizes seems to be the answer!
I think this is as close to a lego bag as we're going to get (at least for now)
MADPhil likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.