FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TATL Basic Economy (renamed Dec 2018); all BE to earn 50% PQMs, earn 100% PQDs
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by Repooc17
50% PQM/0.5 PQS? Middle seat?

I pay the cost to get out of N fares (E fares on DL, X fares on AS, B fares on AA) - usually $30 each way for flights across the country. PP alone is worth the price of admission, but even with no potential for upgrades, being near the front of the plane (e.g. E+) would allow me to get to my destination or back home faster.
The 50% PQM stings a bit no question about that. As for E+ seat selection it's free and can be done around the time of booking depending on how you get your flight ticketed. If you ticket direct with UA then probably no seat selection. With other OTAs it my be possible. I'll leave it at that. As for the price differential I've found for TATL the difference is easily $100 return if not more.

Originally Posted by spin88
I just went to book a vacation trip to Europe (to see part of the WWC), open jaw flights (into CDG, out of BCN) and bouncing between what little decent Y (not on a 777 at 10x, and avoiding the 787 if possible) and just getting PE, I found a decent routing on LH out (on the A388) and back on UA (764). Tickets were $1121 each, so not cheap. But when I went to book on LH, they disclosed that it was their "economy light" fare. Given LH does not do seat assignments anyway, and I get a baggage waiver, that is not an issue, so I booked. No disclosure what so ever that the UA leg would be "BE". None at all. All LH told me was that it was a W, which is not a BE fare.

Anyway, when I went to import into my UA account to get seats it says "BE". So I cancelled.

LH and LH want $2249 for regular Y That his twice the price.

So what is the outcome? Well I booked AF PE for $2100/ticket.

So stupid BE rules, caused this elite to go with another carrier to the tune of $8K+, vs giving UA/LH $4400, which is a decent yield in that market.

Basically UA has now made it impossible for me to fly using my elite benefits on international flights, unless I pay WAY MORE. Good example of why I don't really value any status on UA at this point.
That's nuts. Anyone who is selling me a TATL ticket for North of 1K better darn well provide me with regular economy. The whole point of Basic Economy is a no frills ticket on part with what you would get from Norwegian. If they can't provide that Id go elsewhere as well! I'm surprised the fares were so expensive I'd definitely try playing around with the routing/jaws and departure to get a lower price regardless of airline!

Safe Travels,

James