FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premier Rewards Gold refresh: 4x USA dining, groceries, $10/mon dining credit. $250.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:31 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arctann
This card is the worst. My 4th statement closed and I never got the 50k (though that was kind of expected since I had the PRG years ago). Knowing I probably wouldn't get the bonus, I only got this card because I eat out a lot and wanted to get the 4x points. However, as has been well documented by myself and others, that has been a total disaster because of inconsistency.

This last statement I only got 1x points at a restaurant I got 4x points a couple statements prior. If the points change from statement to statement at the same exact restaurant location then I give up. I've been using my CSR more and more because at least I know I'll get 3x points at 99.9% of restaurants, cafes, breweries, food trucks, etc. without any issues. I'll mostly likely cancel this card once the annual fee comes due next year. It's just not worth the hassle. As an AMEX shareholder I'm embarrassed by this whole thing.

Is it even worth calling them up about the missing 4x points? I know some people have called and wasted their own time just to have AMEX never post the points, even after multiple calls. Has anyone had success after just one call? Considering the amount of time I wasted on the phone with them trying to get them to just ship this card, I really don't look forward to calling them again and having some clueless front-line rep not get anything done.
I would call. The phone reps seem to be more empowered. I had similar situation in Dec - 2 restaurants that earned 4x suddenly became 1x, and they are Chain restaurants. When I called, the phone rep offered 2 solutions - a $20 statement credit or a few thousands MR pts. I took the credit because I did not want to keep an eye on if the promised courtesy points would show up 1 or 2 statement later - that is another pet peeve of mine on how delay the AMEX system posting earned pts, but that is another story. The rep was surprised why I opted for the statement credit and not the seemingly higher value points - I told him why. He said he understood as this seemed to be a source of many customers frustration.

$20 statement credit posted the next day.

Somehow, 2 statements later, I saw some unidentified courtesy adjustment - not in even number like in 3K or 4K, but a very odd 29xx pts, I would take it though I had no clue what that was about as it did not say other than courtesy adjustment.

If I need to get things done other than just cancelling a card, I would call instead of doing the chats with AMEX. (you can also cancel an AMEX card via the robot on the phone fwiw).