FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:12 pm
eracerblue

Originally Posted by injian
folks, wanted to get some clarification:
2. The Marriott and SPG apps both show me as platinum elite but I’m assuming this has to fixed to PP due to the challenge. Is there a way to find out how long the Platinum status will last till? Like goldenbear said - would hate to have come all this way only to have my status downgraded in Feb 2019.

Confirmed by Starwood Lurker to last until Feb 2020.

Originally Posted by injian
folks, wanted to get some clarification:
1. I completed the SPG challenge to stay 18 nights in 3 months before the merger. Is this the same platinum challenge that people are talking about?
For the most part no, but there is confusion, and a gap of equity at present. For the most part people are talking about the potentially easier and cheaper Marriot Plat challenge which is now bumping to PPE.

Starwood Lurker confirmed in the SPG thread wiki:
A10. Will those who got Marriott Platinum via a status challenge this year (supposedly valid till Feb 2020) be switched to Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite on August 1?
Platinum Premier Elite, if the member met the Platinum Elite challenge. <added by Starwood Lurker30Apr18>
(bold emphasis mine)

This says "a status challenge", not Marriott Status challenge. As this was on the SPG thread, with people generally doing SPG challenges and whatnot, it is reasonable that this is generally referring to SPG challenges, or both.

The SPG challenge was also potentially twice as hard and expensive as the Marriott one, which was no doubt intentional presuming an average 2 day length stay... and same ultimate owner (Marriott).

Originally Posted by goldenbear
I was referring to the Marriott Platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days, offered to those with MR Gold upon request).

According to posts in this thread, SPG Platinums will likely just be Marriott Platinums when it's all sorted out.

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread
Except none of this info came from, or was vetted by an official source. In a forum where SPG was very active, that is significant.

Now if there were a way you could have made 9 stays at Marriott properties for the MR challenge instead of 18 nights at SPG, you would have (likely) come out ahead vs your current situation, and that's where some people are seeing the process being somewhat unfair. But there's not much one can do now.
Except that doesn't work for all cities. If this particular thread doesn't open discussion along these lines (rather than quashing it), I'm sure I or someone else will open a separate thread on this.