FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:16 pm
goldenbear

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by injian

folks, wanted to get some clarification:
1. I completed the SPG challenge to stay 18 nights in 3 months before the merger. Is this the same platinum challenge that people are talking about?
2. The Marriott and SPG apps both show me as platinum elite but I’m assuming this has to fixed to PP due to the challenge. Is there a way to find out how long the Platinum status will last till? Like goldenbear said - would hate to have come all this way only to have my status downgraded in Feb 2019.

I was referring to the Marriott Platinum challenge (9 stays in 90 days, offered to those with MR Gold upon request).

According to posts in this thread, SPG Platinums will likely just be Marriott Platinums when it's all sorted out. T

SPG Status Match Request and Challenge Policy : Discussion Master Thread

The confusion is that Marriott matched SPG platinums to MR platinums (and SPG Gold to MR Gold) despite the required night mismatch between the two.

A silver lining in your case is that even if you end up at just MR Platinum, you have actually gained quite a lot in 2019 by doing that challenge - as you would have been a MR Gold without the challenge, and MR Gold is not all that valuable going forward (no 4pm checkout, no lounges, no arrival gift, etc).

Now if there were a way you could have made 9 stays at Marriott properties for the MR challenge instead of 18 nights at SPG, you would have (likely) come out ahead vs your current situation, and that's where some people are seeing the process being somewhat unfair. But there's not much one can do now.