FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:05 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Well I usually pay my hotel bill with a credit card and always have any other charges added to that bill including meals. So that means yet another criteria to check on before using a hotel. Probably something that only talking to a real live person at the hotel will find out for you. Yet another reason to not use third parasite booking companies.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder just how they intend to do business with people who only use cash? My Brother for example will not use credit cards for anything. i even think he is a dinosaur but that doesn't change the facts. He pays everything by cash or by cheque (bills). Hmmm, will the hotel take a cheque.
Most Scandinavian hotel front desk staff have probably never signed or endorsed a paper check; maybe many don’t even know what a current account demand draft/check/cheque is.

The Park Inn in Uppsala and the RadissonBlu in Malmo are also cash free, both as of this year IIRC. The Avalon hotel in Gothenburg went cash free in 2016. I wouldn’t be surprised if dozens or more hotels in just Sweden went or go cash-free this year.

What will traveling people who have their bank cards stolen or blocked (and perhaps their smartphones’ pay features unavailable/compromised) do to stay while waiting for (non-cash) replacement payment methods to be available and activated?

What’s sort of weird is that some of these cash-free hotels may still be marketed as having on-site currency exchange services available.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 2, 2018 at 5:35 pm