FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2018 master thread)
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:00 am
SeattleDavid

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SVRIRED
So whats the consensus where with folks that have had their intl swus waitlisted...It looks like a empty flight so far for travel in about 6 months....albeit 0 C U inventory available in Business...So wanted to to figure out when and how and if AA might release inventory in since i need C to get released...If U gets opened does my waitlist automatically pick that up or do i need to call and confirm.....and since it is 6 month out
I think it is harder than it used to be, since booking early used to put at the top of the upgrade waitlist, but now it doesn't. I used to book early on flights where MCE was empty since then I could be 99% certain there could be no upgraders in front of me, but now I feel like it is a better strategy to book late and to look for a wide open J cabin.

But in answer to your specific questions, C can open up at any time, and disappear at any time – whilst it is most likely to open up a day or two before departure, it can open up two months before departure (I just scored C on LHR-LAX over two months out with a J cabin where over half the seats are already assigned). If you are on the waitlist then you shouldn't need to do anything when C becomes available (though there's no harm in calling and arranging your preferred seat, etc).

In general J only really fills up in the 1-3 weeks prior to a flight, and it can sometimes lose passengers in the day or two preceding the flight. More than 3 weeks in advance and there is not much change usually (roughly 1 new booking per week I would guess).