FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sapphire and Hurricane Harvey
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:12 pm
MDJennings

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
1. Yes, it's computerized. His complaint is about how the computer algorithm is set up for an affluent card like Sapphire.

2. Other banks don't usually cut off your account if you miss a minimum payment. You get hit with a late fee, etc.

3. He did make a payment. Didn't realize if over 30 days, then it doesn't count.

4. Banks are usually proactive during natural disasters by advertising removal of fees etc. Good PR for them. Chase could've done the same.

He has a legitimate gripe to expect better or at least same from CSR than an average credit card.
1) Where in his post does he indicate that it's a CSR and not a CSP?

2) 30 days past the due date for the minimum payment usually gets your charging privileges suspended. Amex even did it to my Centurion once when I forgot that I changed bank acct numbers and was overseas for 2 months and neglected to check my email or have a phone with me that Amex knew the number to (my fault).

3) That's his fault and still doesn't negate what I said about setting up auto pay.

4) They won't waive automatically waive those fees for everybody in San Jose for example when there is a natural disaster occurring in Houston. Those Houston-based cardholders would have to use SM or call in to get those waived. It isn't an automated thing.

His post also indicates he made those two payments in July which is well before Harvey was even a Tropical Storm. Even if it was on the last day of July, that was still 23 days before the storm his Houston. The first, "sighting," of anything the system that would become Harvey only became known on August 13th when it was classified as a Tropical Wave. That's not an excuse.

EDIT: Let's also remember there is a 23-28 grace period before payment is due from when your statement is cut. So if he made that second payment BEFORE that statement was ever cut (and he was delinquent even 30 days after that grace period), that meant he had 53-58 days during which he could have sent in a payment but didn't.

Last edited by MDJennings; Aug 31, 2017 at 1:22 pm