Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire and Hurricane Harvey

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL, UA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
I call them. Or I see it on my paper statement.
Not need for an account, you can call them to set up Autopay.

As far as accounts go, I have lots. But I remember one password - the one to my password safe. Rotate that regularly. Some passwords I remember anyway but no need. You might say that's a lot of trouble. I suppose but your way of paying you bills is:

1. Call or look at bill to reconcile balance (granted a wash vs. statement but I can't imagine calling to go charge by charge on $30+K of charges)
2. Write check
3. Stamp envelope
4. Take envelope to get mailed.

I get it, you hate technology. And I suppose it works for you. Not the way I'd do it. In the end, Chase and other banks wants us to use the tech. Cheaper for them, more convenient for us. You don't see it that way which is fine for now. I'd imagine eventually they will force you.
jjmiller69 likes this.

Last edited by coloneltigh; Sep 2, 2017 at 6:50 am Reason: fixed grammar typo
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:52 pm

Uh, if I'm having to constantly worry about my damn credit card, I have the wrong credit card.

"I paid them in late July, if its mid August, what do I have to worry about?" Is the thinking. I also logged into my banking account at mid month and saw that I'd paid them several times in the past 30 days, so I thought I had it covered.

I usually pay my bills on the same day every month. I thought I had paid it (but just paid it one day too early). Oops. But I would hope that a credit card would have some grace period greater than 5 days from the due date. BTW, Chase did send me an email about it, but of course, by that point I didn't have internet. That's where the Harvey issue came into play.

And I was fine with the late fee. While irritating to be sure, that's not my point.

You are correct, I am at fault as I didn't understand that CSP had such a paltry grace period. I'll own that. I know now, and I'll be making changes.

Enjoy your 5 day grace period and potentially getting suspended from a credit (oops I mean benefit) card you run large balances through and pay a high annual fee to.
Make sure you put your reconstruction expenses with contractors (such as drywall) on a Freedom Unlimited so you get 1.5x. The CSP will only give you 1x on that spend.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mia
My understanding is that TominLazybrook made a payment in late July, on the same day that a statement was generated. If that same payment had been made the next day it would have satisfied the minimum payment requirement for the current period, but it was applied to the previous period. That part of the explanation has nothing to do with Harvey.
I guess he also wasn't PIF.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At these days and age you still don't have online account for your cards is unfathomable.

In case you are not aware Chase and many other financial instructions would require 2ndary verification if the account sees attempted access fromunrecognized device, by means of needing a code being sent to existing email/text/voice phone number before you can even use your existing passwords. Pay the card issuers from the LINKED payment accounts from the cards online account. That is preferred than from the bank to send payment to the card issuers. You do NOT need a Chase bank account to use this function.

I just finished 2 weeks traveling in South Africa and currently in Asia. I have accessed our Chase online accounts countless times during the traveling period. I want to see how the transactions are going thru the card on a daily basis. We essentially had a 2 weeks road trip with 2 separately car entails and many gas station refills. I used the Ink Plus for gas as it earns 2x. Set up alert for gas station usage and international usage. Always receive email noticafication under both alerts whenever we had a refill.

This year we spent 3 weeks in Middle East in Jan/Feb and 2 weeks in Poland and the Baltics in June. I accessed all our financial accounts frequently during the trips sometimes from unsecured connections. Never have any issue because all the accounts required 2ndary verification from device not used before plus all linked bank accounts info only partially displayed. The only fully displayed info are the card activities. As a poster said, if someone wants to pay my card balances by breaking into my cards, s/he is more than welcome to do so. UR points can only be redeemed thru linked programs or existing linked bank accounts. With Citi you need a code sent to either your voice phone or text in order to redeem TYPs - so your points are safe as well.

I cannot believe anyone would need to call the bank multiple times a billing cycle to reconcile one's charges and then wait for the paper statement arrived a week or more after statement closed to do the final recognization.

I like to get paper statement but I also use online account very frequently. You can have both and there is no excuse not to have online access. The argument on security is either from a lack of knowledge or from paranoia. Or just an excuse. As there is no such risk you keep harping about.

Again you demonstrate a lot of misunderstanding and lack of knowledge on how online banking works. You really should learn something from this incident instead of blaming Chase with all sorts of excuses that really were the direct results of your own mishandling.

Time to learn something that is working for most customers and retool your approach. Else you will find yourself in similar situation with another bank(s) when the same conditions happen again.

I call them. Or I see it on my paper statement. I have an app on my phone, that I only look at if there's some sort of emergency with the card or if I have reason to suspect fraud. If I'm in a less secure place like the former CIS (and not just in an expatriate compound) or Africa, and I have access to a wifi connection I trust, I'll check it more frequently if I'm using the card - which I avoid in those particular places. I also tend to not use my high credit limit cards in higher risk areas. I have a secondary ATM card with a far lower balance than in my normal checking account that I use if I'm in a poor security area. Sure, I'll use the big cards at the hotel and for the airfare, but that card stays in the hotel safe most of the time.

To be honest, I really haven't done anything with the points in a long time. That's why I have so many of them.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Happy
...As a poster said, if someone wants to pay my card balances by breaking into my cards, s/he is more than welcome to do so....

Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:45 pm

I paid them on July 22. My card was cut off yesterday. Figure out that math. I also paid off the entire balance on July 7. You are extremely misinformed.

Also, I've been unable to pay them because - gee whiz, there's been no mail service for a week, Chase Bank isn't open, the internet and cell phone data services are sporadic and out, BECAUSE I"M IN A CITY THAT HAS BEEN UNDER WATER FOR THE LAST WEEK.

its not my fault that I don't set up auto pay. That's not a requirement of Chase Sapphire. 9 out of 10 months, I pay the entire balance off. So I have no idea what the amount will be. And my minimum payment isn't known for a while. And if they want me to go online 5 or 6 times a month to ensure that they've been paid in a period of no MORE than 31 days but no LESS than 30, then its not really workable.
Yet you can post here quite easily.......
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
My recollection is that Barclays and Bank of America's auto-pay functions are less flexible, but I haven't looked at them recently.
This thread reminded me that I should set up auto-pay for all of my cards. BofA's is a bit weird as you have to go to Bill Pay->Automatic/Recurring Payments to set it up (vs. it being under the card itself) but it's pretty flexible:

As for other issuers, AmEx and Discover seem to be the most flexible as you can have them deduct specific amounts (instead of just the minimum or the full statement balance like with Chase). UNFCU is probably the least flexible as automatic payments will only deduct from a UNFCU checking account, but doing a scheduled external transfer to said account might be a workaround. Diners Club requires a paper form to be faxed or mailed in.

Unfortunately, Andrews FCU doesn't seem to have any automatic payment ability that I can see on their online banking. The former card's sockdrawered anyway though so it probably doesn't matter much for it, but maybe push payments from my main checking account could work?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I don't like auto-pay, but I always do this once the (paperless) monthly statement arrives:

1) Review transactions
2) Schedule an online payment from my Chase checking account (essentially a transfer). Generally the payment date is scheduled on the due date, but if the due date falls on a weekend or a holiday, I'd move the payment date to the preceding business day.
3) The payment comes out of my checking account, generally on the same day as the due date. I do setup a payment due date alert a week in advance, as a backup plan to remind myself to check for sufficient funds in my checking account.

Have never missed a payment in the online banking era.

Originally Posted by coloneltigh
I get it, you hate technology. And I suppose it works for you. Not the way I'd do it. In the end, Chase and other banks wants us to use the tech. Cheaper for them, more convenient for us. You don't see it that way which is fine for now. I'd imagine eventually they will force you.
But he has the Chase mobile app on his phone, which means he can pay the card directly from the app.

Last edited by Repooc17; Sep 4, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't like auto-pay, but I always do this once the (paperless) monthly statement arrives:

1) Review transactions
2) Schedule an online payment from my Chase checking account (essentially a transfer). Generally the payment date is scheduled on the due date, but if the due date falls on a weekend or a holiday, I'd move the payment date to the preceding business day.
3) The payment comes out of my checking account, generally on the same day as the due date. I do setup a payment due date alert a week in advance, as a backup plan to remind myself to check for sufficient funds in my checking account.
I was in your boat of not liking auto pay and in theory your way would work. The problem occurs when life get busy and some things manage to slip by. Took me missing 2 payments 2 years apart (coincidence both in December) to embrace auto pay. Both times the late fee were waived, but decided not to push my luck and enabled auto pay.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
I was in your boat of not liking auto pay and in theory your way would work. The problem occurs when life get busy and some things manage to slip by. Took me missing 2 payments 2 years apart (coincidence both in December) to embrace auto pay. Both times the late fee were waived, but decided not to push my luck and enabled auto pay.
Understood and totally fair ^
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Actually, what really annoys me about Chase's auto-pay is the inability to set it to pay on any date other than the due date. I like to pay off my balance as soon as the statement closes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.