FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ticked off at EK...
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:56 am
yyzlhr

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by avcritic
Though it is a standard practice to offer discounts to connecting passengers, EK should drop that practice and offer same fares to O&D, or even match/beat QR fares.

If rumors are true, QR is picking up Dubai premium travelers for this single reason.
I had same issue going on EK BKK to DOH and wanted to leave a bag in Dubai on a 13 hour connection and told to pay about 1800 AED to change ticket or bags go thru-- which didnt bother me as I had to go to DOH anyway

It also seems ALL Gulf carriers are adopting this practice with checked baggage as I was told that I would not even be able to leave the airport in DOH on a recent QR LYP-DOH-DXB during my 23 hour connection-- of course you can leave the airport- but bags would only be checked thru to DXB. My understanding is it is only if you are flying/connecting to a Gulf country.

It appears all carriers have caught on to the fact that many of us who live in the GCC fly the one hour to get a flight to a long haul destination at almost half the price. Which in the case of my first sentence is what happened...flew DXB-DOH on a cheap one way, and then DOH-DXB-BKK in J for about 4500AED return - vs the DXB-BKK price of 8500AED at the time.

I have not heard of anyone with this connecting baggage issue who is connecting to a further destination -eg Asia-Europe via DOH or DXB