FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Allegiant first timer. What to expect?
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:25 pm
Big4Flyer

Originally Posted by Often1
One diversion or cancellation without the ability to interline negates your savings for 20 years or more.

In commercial aviation, smart people don't take chances on safety to save money. The difference between a diversion leading to a mass fatality/serious mass injuries vs. everybody home a bit late is insignificant and not worth your life, no matter what the savings are.
I respectfully disagree. YOU may not take chances because you're unwilling to accept the increased risk associated with the lower cost, but I don't think you can that every "smart" person would do the exact same. Rational people make decisions everyday that value money over marginal increases in safety.

I don't know you, but chances are that you don't have a panic room in your home, or an underground bunker in case of an apocalyptic event. You probably don't drive the safest car on the road, and you probably occasionally drive over railroad tracks, rather than driving farther up the street away and taking a bridge over the track. In each of these cases you are valuing money over safety. You may say that each of these would be prohibitively expensive for only a marginal increase in safety, and that's true, but all of us fall somewhere different along this spectrum of balance.

In the past 5 years Allegiant has transported approx 40 million passengers. Even if we assume 5 complete hull losses and total loss of life during the next year, that would still mean that you over a five year period you have a <.000025% chance of dying on an Allegiant flight. With those odds, I'd rather keep my $100.