Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Allegiant first timer. What to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Allegiant first timer. What to expect?

So, the price is too good to pass up for a non-stop from ABQ to AUS: $44 on Allegiant. I'm going for a long weekend and only using it one way (WN for the return).

I travel light and could probably get by with just a personal item for this trip, but I'm going pay for the carry on. I don't mind the middle seat in the back, so I'm going to pay for seat selection.

All together, $59 and for that price, I expect room for my carry-on and a a seatbelt. But at that price, I'm still having trouble trusting this is a real airline.

Is there anything I need to be worried about?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Worst safety record of a US commercial air carrier. I would not set foot on one of G4's aircraft if G4 paid me rather than selling tickets. Nothing makes it worth my safety.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by xasyh
Is there anything I need to be worried about?
A majority of Allegiant's own pilots wouldn't allow family or friends to fly their own airline:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...safety-pilots/

And the Tampa Bay Times uncovers more alarming safety issues:
http://www.tampabay.com/projects/201...al-breakdowns/

Yes, I'd say there's something to worry about.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:58 am

It sounds like your expectations are right on regarding flying Allegiant. The majority of people who have issues with Allegiant do so because they're unfamiliar with the ULCC fee structure. I used to fly G4 regularly when I was a college stupid in LAS and didn't mind traveling with just a backpack as a personal item. I never had any issues with delayed/canceled flights, but its worth mentioning that you probably shouldn't fly them if you need to be somewhere at a certain time. Because of their much more limited route network and higher utilization on peak travel days, IRROPS can wreak havoc on your schedule.

To keep it simple, if everything works out, like it has for me, it can be an excellent value. But either be flexible or have a back-up plan just in case things go South.

Regarding the above safety concerns, these are certainly cause for concern and you should consider it when making your purchasing decision. If you search online you'll see that they lead the nation in mechanical diversions and emergency landings. They've also never had a fatal accident in their history, so to me, the risk is insignificant enough to fly them.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One diversion or cancellation without the ability to interline negates your savings for 20 years or more.

In commercial aviation, smart people don't take chances on safety to save money. The difference between a diversion leading to a mass fatality/serious mass injuries vs. everybody home a bit late is insignificant and not worth your life, no matter what the savings are.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
One diversion or cancellation without the ability to interline negates your savings for 20 years or more.
That seems a bit overstated. If you fly regularly and save $100/flight a single walk up would not take nearly that long to amortize. As an example today I could buy a flight from LAX to JFK for less than $500.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Often1

In commercial aviation, smart people don't take chances on safety to save money. The difference between a diversion leading to a mass fatality/serious mass injuries vs. everybody home a bit late is insignificant and not worth your life, no matter what the savings are.
I respectfully disagree. YOU may not take chances because you're unwilling to accept the increased risk associated with the lower cost, but I don't think you can that every "smart" person would do the exact same. Rational people make decisions everyday that value money over marginal increases in safety.

I don't know you, but chances are that you don't have a panic room in your home, or an underground bunker in case of an apocalyptic event. You probably don't drive the safest car on the road, and you probably occasionally drive over railroad tracks, rather than driving farther up the street away and taking a bridge over the track. In each of these cases you are valuing money over safety. You may say that each of these would be prohibitively expensive for only a marginal increase in safety, and that's true, but all of us fall somewhere different along this spectrum of balance.

In the past 5 years Allegiant has transported approx 40 million passengers. Even if we assume 5 complete hull losses and total loss of life during the next year, that would still mean that you over a five year period you have a <.000025% chance of dying on an Allegiant flight. With those odds, I'd rather keep my $100.
trooper, nancypants and bethyy like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I respectfully disagree. YOU may not take chances because you're unwilling to accept the increased risk associated with the lower cost, but I don't think you can that every "smart" person would do the exact same. Rational people make decisions everyday that value money over marginal increases in safety.

I don't know you, but chances are that you don't have a panic room in your home, or an underground bunker in case of an apocalyptic event. You probably don't drive the safest car on the road, and you probably occasionally drive over railroad tracks, rather than driving farther up the street away and taking a bridge over the track. In each of these cases you are valuing money over safety. You may say that each of these would be prohibitively expensive for only a marginal increase in safety, and that's true, but all of us fall somewhere different along this spectrum of balance.

In the past 5 years Allegiant has transported approx 40 million passengers. Even if we assume 5 complete hull losses and total loss of life during the next year, that would still mean that you over a five year period you have a <.000025% chance of dying on an Allegiant flight. With those odds, I'd rather keep my $100.
Tonight's 60 minutes episode confirms why I don't fly Allegiant, ever. If you are willing to overlook the poor record revealed in an effort to save a few bucks, well that is up to you. If you think the FAA has your back, well apparently not, FAA employees suggest family and friends fly a different airline.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
The problem with probabilities is when something actually happens to the person relying on them they go from .000025% to 100% and they're in a plastic bag.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Does anyone have any news on Allegiant's safety record since they retired the old MD-80s in Dec 2018? They do have some very convenient non-stops that I've avoided but would like to take advantage of.

https://www.smartertravel.com/allegi...fety-concerns/
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, Wyndham DM, Bonvoy Gold, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Does anyone have any news on Allegiant's safety record since they retired the old MD-80s in Dec 2018? They do have some very convenient non-stops that I've avoided but would like to take advantage of.

https://www.smartertravel.com/allegi...fety-concerns/
Their record is on-par with any other Mainline and ULCC's. Their MD-88 issues received bad press, amplified by the 60 Minutes spot -- but was blown out of proportion. Delta has had just as many emergencies with their MD-88 equipment, but they never made the news. Allegiants bad press stemmed from disgruntled employees and failed union negotiations, that had an axe to grind. Single sided media, not looking at things in totality.

Allegiant is safe.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

I don't know really which airlines are safer than others, but Allegiant doesn't seem to be all-out dangerous as their reputation led some to believe. I fly them fairly often on OAK-AZA and they are usually close enough to on time. If something mechanical happens with the plane then you will take a longer delay than some airlines (I've had 4-5 hour delays). In those circumstances Allegiant has proactively sent me a voucher via email before the plane even left the ground equal to the price of my fare. I think that's pretty decent.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jagger3939
Their record is on-par with any other Mainline and ULCC's. Their MD-88 issues received bad press, amplified by the 60 Minutes spot -- but was blown out of proportion. Delta has had just as many emergencies with their MD-88 equipment, but they never made the news. Allegiants bad press stemmed from disgruntled employees and failed union negotiations, that had an axe to grind. Single sided media, not looking at things in totality.

Allegiant is safe.
Originally Posted by YayArea
I don't know really which airlines are safer than others, but Allegiant doesn't seem to be all-out dangerous as their reputation led some to believe. I fly them fairly often on OAK-AZA and they are usually close enough to on time. If something mechanical happens with the plane then you will take a longer delay than some airlines (I've had 4-5 hour delays). In those circumstances Allegiant has proactively sent me a voucher via email before the plane even left the ground equal to the price of my fare. I think that's pretty decent.
Thanks for this feedback. I think we will try it for a nonstop in a few months. I do think flying Allegiant is better if there is a daily flight. A couple of years ago, a friend flew them on a 2x/week route and her day was canceled and there was no getting out for a few more days. That would be kind of nightmarish.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am flying them for the first time this morning JAX-PIT; semi-last minute booking (cousin's wedding that I didn't think I could swing ahead of time). I was planning on DL via ATL or AA via CLT, but my aunt and cousin already booked G4, it's half the price (though still $240), and I like nonstops. Cramming all of my stuff into a backpack DID remind me of my college travels. On the bright side, the time/money savings justifies a quick Macy's visit in Pittsburgh. I'll be sure to report back.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by moondog
I am flying them for the first time this morning JAX-PIT; semi-last minute booking (cousin's wedding that I didn't think I could swing ahead of time). I was planning on DL via ATL or AA via CLT, but my aunt and cousin already booked G4, it's half the price (though still $240), and I like nonstops. Cramming all of my stuff into a backpack DID remind me of my college travels. On the bright side, the time/money savings justifies a quick Macy's visit in Pittsburgh. I'll be sure to report back.
Replying to myself here, my G4 flight ended up being just fine. The seat was rather hard, but good legroom, and no complaints.
Stgermainparis and YayArea like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.