FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stolen Gift cards in mail room
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:18 pm
nwflyboy

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Stoughton
But there wasn't a fraudulent charge - you bought the gift cards, Amex mailed them.

If you ordered anything else online and it was stolen from your residence, would the seller be responsible?
This.

Packages are stolen from people's front porches all the time. It's on the local news constantly.

Amex fulfilled their responsibilities.
UPS fulfilled their responsibilities.
Macy's fulfilled their responsibilities.

All of MS involves some risk. Some of it involves more risk.

I'd say that ordering something worth $2800 (anything - in this case it was Amex gift cards, but it could have been a diamond ring) and having that left on your doorstep in an area where anyone could grab it, is very, very risky.

At this point, this may simply be a police matter. Something was stolen from your (widely open) mail room. I don't know about where you live, but where I live, if I called the police and told them I ordered something online, UPS delivered it, but it was stolen from my doorstep, they would tell me to go file a form online to report the theft, and then I would probably never hear from them (they don't investigate minor property crimes).

You can try UPS, but I doubt they will do anything - they did what they were told, deliver a parcel. The seller didn't tell them to require a signature. If you go to Amex, they will probably tell you that you should have chosen a more secure delivery option - they did what you asked them to: send you something.

It sucks, but I don't think UPS, Amex, Macys, or your apartment building is likely to do much for you here.