FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:02 am
goodeats21
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Syzygies
Do paid upgrades (e.g. Coach to BusinessFirst on ps service JFK SFO) count toward PQD requirements to requalify for 1K?

If so, can United be pinned down to actually say this anywhere in print? This is AWOL from their FAQ.

(I have to decide whether to bolt for AA, and it is a complicated question. I can tell this is a marriage on the verge of divorce, for I've long felt everything United does is sneaky, and dodging any meaningful discussion of paid upgrades is part of that picture. This is an obvious FAQ entry, it should be there.)
Paid upgrades do not count toward PQDs. The only things that count are most fares and E+ purchases.

In addition, you will earn Premier qualifying dollars (PQD) for the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges on eligible flights operated by United and United Express. Certain specialty tickets, including but not limited to unpublished, consolidator/bulk, group, tour and opaque fares, do not earn PQD. See exclusions below for details. You can also earn PQD for spend on Economy PlusŪ purchases.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mar...es/united.aspx