Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to 2014's thread (now closed):

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:25 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
If I fly a SFO-ZRH-DEL;DEL-ZRH-SFO round trip in P and ditch the last leg (ZRH->SFO),
would I still get my 150% PQM credit for the three previous segment? It's about 23k PQMs, so pretty important to know ahead of time. (I'd pony up 25k for a one-way saver award from ZRH->SFO back a few days later.)

Reasoning is, I want to do a week in Delhi and 4-5 days in Switzerland, but buying a multi-city trip essentially doubles the price ($2.7k -> $5k). I'd be better off paying $2.7k + 25k miles, even if it loses me 8k PQMs or so; but not if it loses me the entire 31k PQM that I need to earn on this trip.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:26 pm

Questions from a newbie

Hi everyone! I am brand new to the mileage reward program (we got the Mileage Explorer Card) and really have no idea what I'm doing haha. I have some questions. Thanks in advance for any guidance ya'll can give me.

Some things to consider in helping answer questions:
-I currently have 58,000 miles.
-My husband, son, little sister and myself are planning a trip to Grand Cayman next Summer and would like to use what reward miles toward our flight.
-For example purposes, I plugged June 4th-June 9th into United, round trip for 4 people.

Like mentioned, we have 58,000 reward miles which of course will not cover all 4 of our round trip flights...I don't even think it will cover 1 round trip flight. When I plug in the above dates and click on "Search for Award Travel" it shows 37,500 miles for each person, each way.

Am I doing that correctly??
So how does that work? Can we make 1 reservation with all 4 tickets and apply what miles we have toward the price? Or would we have to make separate reservations (1 reservation for which tickets our mileage rewards would cover and a separate reservation for what isn't covered?)

I'm so confused.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
If I fly a SFO-ZRH-DEL;DEL-ZRH-SFO round trip in P and ditch the last leg (ZRH->SFO),
would I still get my 150% PQM credit for the three previous segment? .....
yes -- credit is segment by segment

Originally Posted by Four_Leaf_Clovers
... Am I doing that correctly??
So how does that work? Can we make 1 reservation with all 4 tickets and apply what miles we have toward the price? Or would we have to make separate reservations (1 reservation for which tickets our mileage rewards would cover and a separate reservation for what isn't covered?)
Since all tickets on a single reservation need to be the same type, you have likely exceed the number of available saver award (the lower mileage) and all 4 tickets are been priced at the higher standard award level.

So multiple reservations will be needed -- get the most number of saver awards on one ticket that you can --- maybe 1, might be 2 or 3. and book the rest on a desperate reservation. This is true for paid tickets also.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 4:50 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Alternatively, what's the likelyhood I can SDC my last leg ZRH-SFO on a P fare a few times to stay in switzerland an extra few days?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, HHonors, Delta Sky Miles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
For March 23, I see the same connections (NRT or ICN) plus UA3503 IND-ORD. For March 22, you can piece together an itinerary using UA4124, although it doesn't show the complete itinerary in the results.

Edited to Add: Expand your default options to view 50 flights - you will see a bunch more options.
Are you using the new or old site? Unless I'm blind I'm not seeing anything even through multiple pages of results. I'm using the new site (which I don't like).

Originally Posted by EmailKid
New or old site?

IIRC it's been reported that new site show availability, but upon clicking sometimes does not show flight
New site - any way to search old one?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PDewar
.... New site - any way to search old one?
yes, usually clearing cookies is enough but if not see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25483073-post501.html .
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SeoxyS
what's the likelyhood I can SDC my last leg ZRH-SFO on a P fare a few times to stay in switzerland an extra few days?
If there's only one flight per day, and it departs at the same time every day, your chance is zero because you can't SDC onto the same flight the following or previous day.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, HHonors, Delta Sky Miles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, usually clearing cookies is enough but if not see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25483073-post501.html .
Thanks! Finally got everything to work and the saver flights to show!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Somehow a lot of UA miles in the bank expired. Called, was told to pay $500 to reinstate the miles. Did get a Mileage Plus Explorer card in the meantime. 50K sign up bonus deposited.

Any way to mitigate the $500 ?

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If there's only one flight per day, and it departs at the same time every day, your chance is zero because you can't SDC onto the same flight the following or previous day.
Looks like there are two UA metal flights per day ZRH-SFO, one through EWR and one through IAD, departing at different times.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
Somehow a lot of UA miles in the bank expired. Called, was told to pay $500 to reinstate the miles. Did get a Mileage Plus Explorer card in the meantime. 50K sign up bonus deposited.

Any way to mitigate the $500 ?

Thanks.
About the only way is to find a hotel / rental / flight that did not get credited during the months prior to expiration. Getting one of those to be credited will save the miles and reset the clock. For more see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
and
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2015-a.html
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by physioprof
Looks like there are two UA metal flights per day ZRH-SFO, one through EWR and one through IAD, departing at different times.
They're pretty close - 10:15 and 11:55 on the date I checked. You'd have to SDC twice a day, and you have to get on to the connecting flight, too. Ignoring the connecting flights to SFO, let's say you're on the 10:15 flight on Day 0.
  1. Day -1 @ 11:55 - SDC to the 11:55 flight on Day 0.
  2. Day 0 @ 10:15 - SDC to the 12:15 flight on Day 1. But at this point, you better already be at the airport because you're less than two hours from departure and if the SDC fails, you either fly or get your ticket canceled.
  3. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Finding availability in the front cabin on all those flights would be tough. So it's not a zero chance, but pretty close (especially for more than a day or two).
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:50 pm

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the difference between flexible, unrestricted, Y, B, and M fares?

Basically, I'm looking for a fare class that lets me reschedule my itinerary within +/- a few days if need be, but doesn't cost me an arm-and-a-leg like a full Y-class fare might. I've tried looking at the fare class rules but they're a bit dense. I'm Premier Gold too, so I have same-day change, but I don't know if that would work on an iterated basis (book a non-refundable ticket for day X, on day X resched to day X+4, on day X+4 resched to day X+6, for example), or whether there'd be any other issues relying on SDC.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by KPHX
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the difference between flexible, unrestricted, Y, B, and M fares?
Unrestricted (also called refundable) generally means you can make changes or refund the ticket. Flexible (also called changeable) generally means you can make changes, but cannot get a refund. The fare bases (Y, B, M, ...) can have any number of rules and various change fees, so you do really have to read them to figure out what they really offer.

Basically, I'm looking for a fare class that lets me reschedule my itinerary within +/- a few days if need be, but doesn't cost me an arm-and-a-leg like a full Y-class fare might. I've tried looking at the fare class rules but they're a bit dense.
You want a changeable (flexible) fare, but you will have to suck it up and read the fare fules if you don't like surprises (like change fees).

I'm Premier Gold too, so I have same-day change, but I don't know if that would work on an iterated basis (book a non-refundable ticket for day X, on day X resched to day X+4, on day X+4 resched to day X+6, for example), or whether there'd be any other issues relying on SDC.
SDC is not guaranteed, and you can only reschedule to X+1 each time you use it. If you want to go to day X+4, it will take at least four changes, and possibly more depending on the departure times.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:16 am

As threads get too large, certain problems can occur. So as this thread is over 2,000 posts - will close it and unsticky it. And will start a new Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]... thread .

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.