View Single Post
Old Dec 17, 12, 11:55 am
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
As noted elsewhere, I have been less than impressed with Plat treatment compared to what top elites get at Hyatt and SPG. However I would not go so far as to "break up" with Marriott. I do agree with OP that I see no measurable difference between Gold and Plat - it's not like Plats get suites (as compared to say SPG where they often do).

Personally I find Marriott lounges to generally be midrange - not as nice as many Hyatt properties but often better than SPG or Hilton. YMMV.

My preference would be to stay at SPG, but only because the redemption options (cash+points) and frequent promos (e.g. free resort nights) usually provide far more value than anything I've seen from the competition. Unfortunately the qualification requirements for SPG Plat are simply too difficult for me to achieve - no way I can get 25 stays. Marriott (with rollover EQN and Chase EQN) and Hilton (based on spend or CC) are far easier to attain.

Originally Posted by DavidAnderson View Post
Due to my stay pattern, I'd trade the lounge for a decent upgrade and breakfast at resorts, but that view is in the minority.
+1

Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye View Post
The sense of entitlement on this website has become outrageous.
Entitlement? No. Competitive advantage? Yes.

If SPG and Hyatt will guarantee suite upgrades (or provide them more frequently) why should I send business to Marriott (where I am 0 for XX)?

Everybody offers free wifi, free lounges, breakfast, water bottles, bonus points, etc. etc. And honestly I could care less about suites on my business stays which are rarely more than a couple of nights. But the company that will upgrade me to a suite at its resorts a couple of times a year is the one that wants my business.

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 17, 12 at 3:47 pm