Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Breaking up with Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Megahertz456
Hi - I'm in the UK, and have to say I'm very happy with the service I get here. I never expect an upgrade, and it's nice when it (almost always) happens! I'm a big spender with Marriott and Hilton, am Plat Prem and Diamond. Have over 1000 stays with Marriott, but apparently not enough points yet for lifetime.

I wanted to pick up on a comment above - how likely is it that I would get a status match at another chain - eg Hyatt? There aren't many Hyatt properties in the UK, but there are definitely a few I would like to use. I always end up in a Hilton or a Marriott because I don't have status with Hyatt - if they would match the status I would stay there all the time - don't want to 'start from the bottom again!'

Have other users had experience of chains matching status from one program to another? And does it only work in hotels? Could I, for example persuade Virgin to move me up a tier or two in Flying Club with my Diamond and Platinum cards? (that might be pushing my luck, but it's worth asking!)
I have matched status to SPG, but then in my very first stay with SPG, they screwed up the stay bad enough to offer me, without asking, to comp my room charge for my one night stay, and I have not been back since. However, AFAIK, Hyatt offers status matches, but to make sure check out the Hyatt forum, rather than asking in the Marriott forum.

As for status matching with the airlines, several airlines offer status matching, but do not all do it in the same way. For example, when I status matched from US in 2008, where I was a Platinum (3rd of 4 tiers), DL had (and I think still has) a policy where they status match to Gold maximum (2nd of 3 tiers then, but 4 tiers now). So I could have been a Chairman with US (4th of 4 tiers), and DL would still have only status matched me to Gold. I believe that of the other major airlines in the US, AA will match higher (check in the AA forum), and that CO used to match to higher statuses than Gold, before the merger, but I am not sure whether the combined UA/CO is doing after the merger (best to check in the UA forum for that).
Old Feb 23, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Megahertz456
Hi - I'm in the UK, and have to say I'm very happy with the service I get here. I never expect an upgrade, and it's nice when it (almost always) happens! I'm a big spender with Marriott and Hilton, am Plat Prem and Diamond. Have over 1000 stays with Marriott, but apparently not enough points yet for lifetime.

I wanted to pick up on a comment above - how likely is it that I would get a status match at another chain - eg Hyatt? There aren't many Hyatt properties in the UK, but there are definitely a few I would like to use. I always end up in a Hilton or a Marriott because I don't have status with Hyatt - if they would match the status I would stay there all the time - don't want to 'start from the bottom again!'

Have other users had experience of chains matching status from one program to another? And does it only work in hotels? Could I, for example persuade Virgin to move me up a tier or two in Flying Club with my Diamond and Platinum cards? (that might be pushing my luck, but it's worth asking!)
Hyatt does a Diamond trial. 12 nights in 60 days. Don't ask for it until you're ready to start; they usually grant you the challenge immediately. http://upgrd.com/mike/hyatt-gold-pas...challenge.html

You get 4 suite upgrade certs immediately. Since Hyatts are a bit more sparse in the UK/Europe, I'd make a plan before asking for the challenge. For the UK, there are only 3 properties; 1 in Birmingham and 2 in London.

Overall, Starwood may be your better choice. They've got some really nice properties in Europe. That's not to say that Hyatts aren't nice, it's just that there aren't enough of them.

I didn't find anything recent on Starwood status match, but maybe this will help: http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/03/24/s...num-challenge/
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:09 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Boycott Marriott?? Not me!

Having reached and maintained Plat status for many years, why would I want to go elsewhere and forego the Plat benefits I regulary receive?

- room upgrade
- access to lounges
- free breakfast
- free WiFi
- extra MRW points
- arrival gift or the free points
- That little touch of recognition ("Welcome back MR MPops!")

Isn't this why we strive to acheve the status? Why earn it, and then stay elsewhere?

With regards to the pros and cons of the different hotel rewards programs - well, I'm saving my points for when I retire, so I'll just take what I can with what I've saved up. Not to mention the benefits for ever (as above) from the Lifetime status I'm earning (Gold already, Plat by year-end.)

Boycott? I'd have to be mad!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by USirritated
NO upgrade is a promise, it is always based on availability. Other than a suite, what do you consider an upgrade that you get "always?"
Exec. room usually. Bigger room quite often. Suites occasionally
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Marriott Rewards-Devalued
Hilton H Honors-Devalued
Holiday Inn Points-Devalued
Omni Select Guest-Devalued
Wyndham Rewards-Devalued
Starwood-Not in smaller areas
Hyatt-Not in smaller areas

There's always something to complain about. Find what works, and make the best of it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:23 pm

Already made the switch to HH and reached diamond this week on a status match challenge. Using the last of my MR next month and getting rid of my MR cc's shortly. Very happy at Hilton thus far...been staying at Hilton properties exclusively since October. Locations are better, perks are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and the overall treatment I receive is MUCH better. Even the food service menus are better than Marriott's. They have a lot of resorts in areas where Marriott does not which is a major + to me.

Last edited by sunnyjl; Feb 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:13 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Already made the switch to HH and reached diamond this week on a status match challenge. Using the last of my MR next month and getting rid of my MR cc's shortly. Very happy at Hilton thus far...been staying at Hilton properties exclusively since October. Locations are better, perks are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and the overall treatment I receive is MUCH better. Even the food service menus are better than Marriott's. They have a lot of resorts in areas where Marriott does not which is a major + to me.
Is it because your new to HHonors that the recent devaluation doesn't bother you?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Properties are nicer, really? I will give just one comparison example (and I know of others), check out Hilton Hawaiian Village vs. JW Marriott Ihilani at Ko Olina. Once you have been to those two hotels/resorts, you will never think that Hilton is nicer again!

Maybe you think that locations are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and overall treatment received is much better, because it is A) a shiny new penny you have found; or B) it is necessary for Hilton to be better in your mind, to justify your change from Marriott to Hilton (FWIW, this is a proven psychological phenomenon).
Old Feb 28, 2013, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by USirritated

Maybe you think that locations are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and overall treatment received is much better, because it is A) a shiny new penny you have found; or B) it is necessary for Hilton to be better in your mind, to justify your change from Marriott to Hilton
Or maybe at the properties he's been staying at, the Hiltons are better than Marriotts in the area. And note that in addition to the other reasons he listed that he's happy w/ Hilton, one is that they have resorts in areas Marriott does not, which is important to him.

Marriott is not superior everywhere, just as Hilton is not. If someone is happy w/ Hilton after switching from Marriott, then Hilton is probably the better program for them.

There is no right or wrong program, just one (or more than one) that meets someone's needs/goals, whatever they might be.

Re: the B, that could be reversed back at you

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.