FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:28 am
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by realjd
Has anyone actually been able to use their EMV card in the US yet? Here in Central Florida at least, almost every (major) store has switched to an EMV-enabled terminal but as far as I can tell, the chip reader isn't activated yet. I've also started seeing a few of the wireless card readers at restaurants. One restaurant owner even got excited when she saw my BoA chip card and we were both disappointed when her brand new terminal didn't accept it with the chip. She said they gave her those terminals specifically because of the upcoming switch to EMV.

I'm just curious if anyone has seen the chip readers actually turned on yet here in the states. It sounds like the changeover for us is going to be sooner rather than later...
zowwie reported a case where a self-service checkout machine at a Wal-Mart in Phoenix wouldn't accept his/her Andrews FCU EMV chip card with the swipe and actually instructed him/her to do it via the chip: Post #940 & Post #942

Haven't had the same experience in Wal-Mart stores near my area though. Then again, I don't shop there often either.