FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SYDNEY what to do for half to one day transit?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 3:48 pm
Leumas

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
I guess the 'main' reason why I asked is somewhat related to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...ce-charge.html I posted earlier.

Long story short, seems like I can only do a long layover instead of a stopover in SYD. And because of that I am no longer being charge AU & WY. So I am not sure if I am 'allow' to exit the airport...
Yes, I saw your other thread... But to answer this question, if you tell the airline (e.g., at booking or at check-in) that you'll leave the airport, then yes, you'll more than likely be charged. Some airlines may not know this though, so you may get away with it. I've seen on multiple occasions Air NZ and QF want to charge passengers when they discovered the passengers intend to leave the airport.

However, if your ticket indicates a layover, there's nothing stopping you to leave the airport. Just to be safe, make sure you have your luggage checked through and your departing boarding pass before you enter the country.

Immigration and Customs won't care as long as you've the relevant visa, although Immigration may ask why you're only here for a few hours. Just answer honestly that you've a long layover and want to see some sights.