Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian international Passenger Service Charge?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Australian international Passenger Service Charge?

I have done some searching but can't really find an answer...

If I choose to fly to NZ and transit at SYD in both ways, there are no taxes or fee what so ever going thru Australia.

However if I choose to have a stopover at SYD on my return. Understandably, there are going to be some fee. I see a (AU) Australian Passenger Movement Charge for C$59.10. That's fine. But also 2x (WY) Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge at C$27.90ea.

Any idea what's this WY is? Is it because I get ding once for coming from NZ into AU. And ding again for leaving AU to go home?

I only find a doc talks about (AU) Australian Passenger Movement Charge Exemptions (here) but noting (so far) I can find on (WY) Australian Int'l Passenger Service Charge...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Correct. There is a charge for leaving Australia and a charge for entering it. If in transit there is neither entry nor exit, so rather logically no charge.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
i understand this is collected when you book the tkt-so if you are in transit is it possible if you have a long layover to go out of the airport without paying the charge?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
i understand this is collected when you book the tkt-so if you are in transit is it possible if you have a long layover to go out of the airport without paying the charge?
The airline will have to pay the charge to the gov't (they check your passports in and out). Whether the airline will bother to collect the extra charge when you check-in at SYD to continue your transit depends upon your airline and possibly FF status. Often it is collected as >$50 triggers a threshold or requires a supervisor override. Sometimes it is charged back to the T/A for the ticket (this happens all the time on my corporate tickets as they are always collected after the fact and I make frequent changes).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:33 pm

thanks again for your kind and detailed reply.
your reply got me cking what i was charged by united and I noted that i was charged for each person
54.15$ aus passenger service charge.
49.81$ aus pass movement charge.

thats all very well but i was charged this for 3 children as well as my wife and i .
as far as i understand children are exempt from this charge arent they?
should i try to get this refunded?

thanks again
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:38 am
Original Member

Children under age 12 on the day of departure are exempt from PMC (which is AUD 47 for tickets sold before July 1, 2012 and AUD 55 now), the airline is responsible to refund the charge to you if collected in error, this is clearly documented at http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page6068.asp

The passenger service charge varies by airport as it is actually an airport facility charge, for UA you are presumably asking about SYD. The kind-hearted private record-profit making airport authority exempts children under age 2, any older and they pay the full amount. Only way to avoid this tax is to stay in transit.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:53 pm

thanks again..

so if I do end up going out of the airport during transit,will they ask me to pay at immigration etc when i come back in for my flight,or will it always be charge to the airline??

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.