FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Yet Another Luggage Question
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2009, 8:30 am
patk

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS/1K, Avis First, Marriot PP, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by tfar
If it measures 23.5 inches top to bottom it won't fit the sizer. Simple as that. It's a stiff bag. A soft bag you could crunch to get it to fit and hope the GA has mercy on you but at 23.5 hard inches, no go. Did you take the measurement in depth including the handle mechanism? That's the other important dimension.

Till
Nuts... So I made some more exact measurements by using a carpenters level (the previous measurement was eyeballed).

So using a carpenters level, I put it on the highpoint of the bag, kept it level, and then measured from ground to the high point of the bag.

I get a tad less than 23.5" including the top handle. 22-7/8" not including the top handle.

Thickness: with nothing in the front pockets, i measure ~8-3/4" from the back of the rear handle to the front of the bag

Width: 14" without the side handle, ~14-3/4" with the side handle.

So this may be a bit tight for AA, but for F9 airbuses (which I fly domestically), I'm good. For AA, this is probably right on the edge based on the measurements given in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sizers-2.html

Originally Posted by dstan
The inside dimensions of the gray metal sizers are:

Length: 23 1/4" (59 cm) to outer edge of open (right) end
Depth: 9 7/8" (25 cm)
Width (sizer height): 13 1/2" (34 cm) to bottom of crossbar / 14 1/2" (37 cm) to top of crossbar

(long layover w/ measuring tape )
I'm definitely gonna get a 20" though, for the times I need to fly AA, just in case. Though if this garment bag works out, this all becomes moot Since I now have a wheeled laptop case, I may try going the redoxx airboss route as well for the times when I don't need a suit and just carry that around.