Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizer / sizers

Rollaboards that fit (or don't fit) AA carry-on baggage sizer / sizers

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, NAT Exec Sel
I have a larger Franklin Covey rolling laptop case-- designed to fit a change of clothes and pretty much everything I need for a traveling office. I can also get a pair of shoes in there.

And, it fits in the OH bin. If it's not overstuffed, I can even fit it OH on Eagle flights as well. Otherwise, a quick removal of the laptop will usually get it up there.

17.5" W X 13" H X 9.5" D

Best bag I've ever had.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 2:21 pm

I carry either one of these:

Briggs&Riley 20" Superlight Upright (20 x 14 x 8.5)
Briggs&Riley Wheeled cabin bag (13 x 16.8 x 9)

Hubby uses Tumi Alpha (20.75 x 13.5 x 8.25); can't overstuff the front pocket though.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
I always get tagged at LAX. My Briggs & Riley Baseline 22" fits fine. If I had it SUPER stuffed it may be a problem but even moderately stuffed I haven't had a problem.

Don't know what LAX's deal is, especially given the size of AA's overhead compartments.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by BrianV
Don't know what LAX's deal is, especially given the size of AA's overhead compartments.
The size of the overhead compartment has no bearing on the legal size of your carry on.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 4:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skylady
The size of the overhead compartment has no bearing on the legal size of your carry on.
Very true...and very unfortunate. The whole point of sizing things is so that they fit-not in the sizers, but in the places they're supposed to fit- the bins. If a bag is 1/2" too long, but still fits the bin, it takes up no additional space. Same for depth (height when lying down in the bin). An argument may be mae for width as this limits the number of items in the bin.

Ideally, there would be some correlation between the sizers and the things they're sizing for.

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T
AA do list these as well in the cunningly well hidden 'Baggage tips and information' section

'Total dimensions of the carry-on bag may not exceed 45in/114cm of which each dimension must be no greater than 22in/56cm in length, 18in/45cm in width and 10in/25cm in depth.'
even so, the dimensions of the sizers are 23.5 x 14.5 x 10 inches. Thus, the 10-inch width dimension is pretty binding, and most 22-inch long bags would be okay even with handles etc, but the 18in "middle" dimension in particular could prove problematic to some.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by HNL
eBags Mother Lode Mini
Passes LHR & LAX goober baggage checks
Looks like a sweet bag, but their website says total dimensions = 45.5".

I just don't want to invest in anything anymore that isn't exactly within the airline's specs. Just don't want to chance running into a super-enforcer at the gate.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
I've been looking at this one from Brookstone, if anyone has any experience with it I'd love to hear!

XpressCheck 21" Ballistic Computer Traveler
21-inch luggage holds laptop, has a suiter, and features our XpressCheck security pocket.

By the way, can you get a suit into your Delsey? I've used their luggage before and liked it. And it's half the price of the Brookstone gear.
Funny I'm actually packing my Delsey Helium Fusion right now for a flight. You definitely can get a woman's pant suit in one so I'd assume a man's too. I love mine. I am checking mine tomorrow. But I have used it as a carry on before. I've never had any problems with sizing other than AE flights. I have to red tag it then.

I got mine in 08 from Macy's. With coupons, you can get it for under $75. Maybe $60. I don't remember exactly, I just know it's been money well worth it and less than $100. Mine has a hook for hanging clothes in the "top" part of the luggage. I'm picky about how "wrinkley" my clothes get and I've found if I keep the clothes in the dry cleaning sheer plastic and fold carefully that they don't wrinkle much. I try and use the clasp to hold in place but usually overpack.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by BrianV
I always get tagged at LAX. My Briggs & Riley Baseline 22" fits fine. If I had it SUPER stuffed it may be a problem but even moderately stuffed I haven't had a problem.

Anyone else use this bag? If you have the expanders on, will it fit?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by dstan

Our Delsey Helium Fusion 21" rollaboards always make it into the sizers, although if they're really stuffed with dive gear (expansion zipper closed), the front pockets may need to be compressed a bit to fit past the top bar of the sizer.
That looks like just the bag I need.

Just ordered one from eBags via AAdvantage eShopping for $103.99 (got 5 miles per dollar.)

Hope it comes in before 4 July when I will be flying 24K miles in 17 days.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:06 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Lightbulb Drumroll please...

The inside dimensions of the gray metal sizers are:

Length: 23 1/4" (59 cm) to outer edge of open (right) end
Depth: 9 7/8" (25 cm)
Width (sizer height): 13 1/2" (34 cm) to bottom of crossbar / 14 1/2" (37 cm) to top of crossbar

(long layover w/ measuring tape )

P.S.: Hope you like the Delsey, Gamecock!
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by dstan
The inside dimensions of the gray metal sizers are:

Length: 23 1/4" (59 cm) to outer edge of open (right) end
Depth: 9 7/8" (25 cm)
Width (sizer height): 13 1/2" (34 cm) to bottom of crossbar / 14 1/2" (37 cm) to top of crossbar

(long layover w/ measuring tape )

P.S.: Hope you like the Delsey, Gamecock!
my tape had the smallest dimension at 10 inches and the longest at 23.5. The latter makes no real difference (a 24-inch bag is clearly too big and 23+ fits most that are 22 inchers plus wheels/handles), but the former is important since many bags are just at 10 inches.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM
How did she get this far?

On my last flight a lady was pulling a steamer trunk (a slight exaggeration!) on tiny wheels down the aisle. It was banging every armrest as it went by. Half way down the aisle a FA finally rushed up and talked the lady into checking it at the front of the plane. I was astonished that she had made it that far! Evidently no one is paying attention at the gate or anywhere past it.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: back to AA PLT, 1.6+MM
Originally Posted by skylady
In a world ruled by common sense, it absolutely would.

In the Bizzaroworld of airline bureaucrats, where your business model is to keep increasing the things you do that p#ss of your customers, I guess it doesn't.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
My bag of choice after much searching is the Eagle Creek Switchback Max 22.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/product/20217

It is a small 22" rollaboard that will fit in the overhead and passed the test in JFK and LHR. The coolest part, though, is that a medium sized backpack zips onto the front of the rollaboard.

So when I go through security I go through with a small rollaboard and a small backpack (personal item) - one for overhead, one for under seat. However, after security I can zip the backpack onto the front of the bag and wheel them both around securely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.