Wiki Posts
Search

Connections @ewr: A To C

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, CO, IC AMB
Connections @ewr: A To C

Just noticed that CO flights BOS-EWR arrive in Terminal A. Wondering if connections to CO flights out of Terminal C are able to be accomplished airside without having to re-visit security. (Apologies if this has been discussed before; nothing came up on a search).

Also, how much time should be allowed to make this connection?

Thanks!

Feed Me.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:24 am
Suspended

There's a train. You have to re-clear security. It s&cks.
Old May 17, 2006, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We are still anxiously awaiting the intra-terminal airside bus that CO stated they are going to start running...

However, in the meantime, making this connection involves leaving one terminal for another outside security, using the monorail. The time to allow for the connections depends on your status and the time of day.

Are you connecting inbound *from* BOS? If so, the later in the day your flight is scheduled to arrive EWR, the higher the possibility of ATC delays - far more stress inducing when you need to change terminals and reclear security.

I would make sure you have at least 60 minutes to make this connection for flights arriving EWR before 3pm, and at least 2.5 hours for flights scheduled to arrive EWR between 3pm and 7pm. If you are arriving EWR between 3p and 7p and your connection out of EWR is either international or the last flight of the day and you cannot risk a misconnect, I recommend at least 3 hours (right up to 4 hrs if possible)

Also, I recommend using the security checkpoint at the far end of T-C, at the 13x gates. When going downstairs from the monorail platform, go back up to the ticketing concourse, then walk to the end of the terminal, and back down to the gate level - this checkpoint is usually far less crowded than the ones at the 10x and 7x/9x gates. If the ID checker gives you a hassle about using a checkpoint away from your gate assignment, either tell him/her to bugger-off or state you are using the Presidents Club right outside the checkpoint.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bocastephen

Also, I recommend using the security checkpoint at the far end of T-C, at the 13x gates. When going downstairs from the monorail platform, go back up to the ticketing concourse, then walk to the end of the terminal, and back down to the gate level - this checkpoint is usually far less crowded than the ones at the 10x and 7x/9x gates. If the ID checker gives you a hassle about using a checkpoint away from your gate assignment, either tell him/her to bugger-off or state you are using the Presidents Club right outside the checkpoint.
I would have thought that those by the 13X would have been crowded since it handles mostly the Intl flights and Trans-cons, while the Mid teir handles mostly the RJs. But I guess people go to which ever area is closer to where they check-in.

funny lately Ive found that the Elite line takes longer then the Non-Elite line, thats a killer.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by craz
I would have thought that those by the 13X would have been crowded since it handles mostly the Intl flights and Trans-cons, while the Mid teir handles mostly the RJs. But I guess people go to which ever area is closer to where they check-in.

funny lately Ive found that the Elite line takes longer then the Non-Elite line, thats a killer.
Line management at EWR is very poor....dedicating one lane to the EA line defeats the purpose of making it faster. EA customers should be directed to the shortest WTMD line ahead of the general passenger line, not corralled to wait for their own machine.

I think most customers will walk down the first two sets of stairs, which takes them to either the 7x or 10x security checkpoints because the bulk of the check-in positions are located at that end of the terminal (including the BF counters). The 13x position is too far away for most people to find after check-in, except I believe for certain flights that check-in at the far end of the concourse.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
When I arrive back from an international flight to EWR in the mid-afternoon, I always find the 13x security point pretty busy, as that's where the immigration/customs exit is. So, it depends on the time of day.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:42 am

Programs: DL - Plat Medlln
There is no need to go all the way back up to the ticketing area as there is a public hallway connecting the 2 security areas. After exiting the Monorail, take an immediate right down the hallway.
Old May 17, 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by NYGabriel
There is no need to go all the way back up to the ticketing area as there is a public hallway connecting the 2 security areas. After exiting the Monorail, take an immediate right down the hallway.
I thought that was a dead-end. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try this weekend.
Old May 17, 2006, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I thought that was a dead-end. Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try this weekend.
It isn't! I often find the three EWR-C checkpoints have vastly different screening line lengths so it pays to check and move if needed. The corridor makes it easy!
Old May 17, 2006, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, CO, IC AMB
We are still anxiously awaiting the intra-terminal airside bus that CO stated they are going to start running...

However, in the meantime, making this connection involves leaving one terminal for another outside security, using the monorail. The time to allow for the connections depends on your status and the time of day.

Are you connecting inbound *from* BOS? If so, the later in the day your flight is scheduled to arrive EWR, the higher the possibility of ATC delays - far more stress inducing when you need to change terminals and reclear security.

I would make sure you have at least 60 minutes to make this connection for flights arriving EWR before 3pm, and at least 2.5 hours for flights scheduled to arrive EWR between 3pm and 7pm. If you are arriving EWR between 3p and 7p and your connection out of EWR is either international or the last flight of the day and you cannot risk a misconnect, I recommend at least 3 hours (right up to 4 hrs if possible)

Thanks, Bocastephen. I will be inbound from BOS, arriving EWR at 12:47 and connecting to MSP on CO metal departing at 3:20 on a paid F ticket. My concern is that I will be travelling on the Friday afternoon which begins the 4th of July weekend and I'm expecting a clusterf**k at EWR! Can't believe they don't have a way to transit terminals for online connections!
Old May 17, 2006, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYGabriel

Ive used that many a time myself.

Is there a way to go between the other 2 check points w/o having to do the down and up biz?
Old May 26, 2006, 8:59 pm

Rumor is...

Rumor from the DCA folks is that an EWR Terminal A-Terminal C shuttle bus will start service on June 1.

Last edited by longtime lurker; May 26, 2006 at 10:45 pm
Old May 26, 2006, 11:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Originally Posted by craz
Ive used that many a time myself.

Is there a way to go between the other 2 check points w/o having to do the down and up biz?
Nope... dead end.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club Gold, Hilton,Marriott,Omni, National Emerald Club, US Airways DM, Continental OnePass
If there isnt any bus by August 31, I am going to be so screwed. Here is my connection in EWR:

Thu 31AUG06 CO 1152 Q ATLANTA 5:30PM NEWARK EWR 8:14PM 737-500 SNACK
*Flight Departs or Arrives Newark Terminal A
Thu 31AUG06 CO* 2988 Q NEWARK EWR 8:55PM ALBANY NY 10:02PM ERJ-145
*Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES INC doing business as CONTINENTAL EXPRESS

I need to get at 8:15 at night with a 40 something minute connection from Terminal A to Terminal C. Would you guys think Im pretty much out of luck, if there is no bus. Otherwise, whats the easiest way to make this connection? This is also the last flight to Albany that night.
Old May 29, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by rgeer
If there isnt any bus by August 31, I am going to be so screwed. Here is my connection in EWR:

Thu 31AUG06 CO 1152 Q ATLANTA 5:30PM NEWARK EWR 8:14PM 737-500 SNACK
*Flight Departs or Arrives Newark Terminal A
Thu 31AUG06 CO* 2988 Q NEWARK EWR 8:55PM ALBANY NY 10:02PM ERJ-145
*Operated by EXPRESSJET AIRLINES INC doing business as CONTINENTAL EXPRESS

I need to get at 8:15 at night with a 40 something minute connection from Terminal A to Terminal C. Would you guys think Im pretty much out of luck, if there is no bus. Otherwise, whats the easiest way to make this connection? This is also the last flight to Albany that night.
Head straight to a GA when you land, have them call the gate you're headed to, to let them know you're coming, and run. The last time I had a tight connection from A to C, I went thru the elite line as usual, and simply asked if anyone had a problem with me cutting in, as I had 8 minutes left to make my connection.... everyone allowed me to pass thru

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.