Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Sholdit Scarf: opinions ladies please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

Magellan's has this new travel scarf with built-in zipper pockets and I'm wondering how you all feel about such a thing. At $50 it comes in an eggplant or a titanium color.

http://www.magellans.com/sholdit-scarf/
Old May 5, 2013, 11:05 am

My initial response is meh. I would think that putting even relatively light things in a scarf pocket would weigh the scarf down and make it hang funny, and a scarf is a very easy thing to lay down somewhere and subsequently misplace. If it warms up would you transfer your valuables somewhere else? I'd rather stow valuables in a purse or secure pocket in clothing.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm thinking along the same lines

Katja, As you have to take off a scarf which may have stuff in pockets to go through the TSA checkpoints, I can't see the use of this scarf at that cost. Just one more thing to get nasty in a TSA bin.

I've been sewing extra pockets into my travel clothing for years (cheap and easy to do) and use those pockets for emergency cash, credit cards and my passport when sleeping on planes.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:56 pm

I don't like the idea nor the look. Plus I am more likely to loose a scarf than a jacket, purse, etc.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Magellan's has this new travel scarf with built-in zipper pockets and I'm wondering how you all feel about such a thing. At $50 it comes in an eggplant or a titanium color.

http://www.magellans.com/sholdit-scarf/
I don't have that scarf, I do have an infinity type scarf that doesn't have any zipper pockets. I like the infinity scarf and wear it from time to time but I find that I go back to my regular pashminas for a scarf. I would be afraid if I put anything in a scarf I would lose it and the scarf. I have left my favorite scarves everywhere you can think of, rental cars, hotel bars, customer conference rooms, hotels and so on. If I put my iPhone inside one of those pockets I would probably lose the darn thing.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

an excellent point of view. well said.

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
I don't have that scarf, I do have an infinity type scarf that doesn't have any zipper pockets. I like the infinity scarf and wear it from time to time but I find that I go back to my regular pashminas for a scarf. I would be afraid if I put anything in a scarf I would lose it and the scarf. I have left my favorite scarves everywhere you can think of, rental cars, hotel bars, customer conference rooms, hotels and so on. If I put my iPhone inside one of those pockets I would probably lose the darn thing.
I have long established habits for keeping up with my own stuff. A change now might not have a good result.
Old May 9, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I have long established habits for keeping up with my own stuff. A change now might not have a good result.
Exactly.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Katja, it is a bit funny but it works for me. I travel with 3 things to look after on flights and it doesn't matter if I've already checked a bag.

My small purse
My small carry on bag
My jacket

So I count to 3 a lot. Has worked for me for a long time.

When I check out of a hotel, I'm wearing my jacket, so I'm back to 3 again:

My small purse
My bag to be checked
My small carry on

I am amazed at how many folks loose stuff when traveling.

Keeping up with a scarf/Sholdit would make item #4 and there is where my system might fail.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I actually had a similar scarf by Lululemon. Unfortunately I lost it somewhere in Philadelphia - luckily I had nothing in the pocket at the time. :-(

The scarf seemed great in theory, but I ended up not using the pocket and ultimately losing the scarf.
Old May 14, 2013, 2:43 pm

I ordered a Sholdit directly from the company last winter. It's an interesting idea. However, I'm tall (nearly 6') and found the scarf too short for my needs - the pockets hit in the wrong place. The lining fabric wasn't comfortable for me.

I guess I waited too long to return the scarf. (I was waiting to see if my mother would like it.) I sent an email to the company the day I returned the scarf, explaining it was on its way. They sent an email back, saying they wouldn't refund my money, and not to send the scarf. Well...too late. The Sholdit was already in the mail.

I did not receive a refund, and they accepted delivery of the return. I didn't quibble this, but it didn't raise my confidence in the company. Magellan's price is higher, but at least they will accept a return.

Nonetheless, I thought the concept was interesting, if the design had been tweaked with better fabric and longer length.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry that you ended up minus $ and the scarf.
Old May 15, 2013, 6:32 pm

The photo makes her look like she's pulling things out from her top or undergarments. In my opinion, that's probably not a good thing.

Nau has a down scarf with pockets on the end but you can use those as hand warmers. More of an "around town during winter" item than specifically a travel one.
http://www.nau.com/accessories/categ...rf-706u01.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.