Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Wearing shorts and skirts in New Delhi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing shorts and skirts in New Delhi?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Wearing shorts and skirts in New Delhi?

I'll be doing the Golden Triangle starting from New Delhi in late April-early May.

I prefer wearing bermuda shorts and mid to knee length skirts as it will be hot then. Would I be getting lots of unwanted attention wearing shorts/skirts as a 30 year old average build Asian woman?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:08 am

You will probably get some unwanted attention no matter how you dress, unfortunately. Covering as much as possible might minimize it. Personally I'd try to wear bottoms that reach the knees, at least -- light linen pants and capris might work in hot weather.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hightide
I'll be doing the Golden Triangle starting from New Delhi in late April-early May.

I prefer wearing bermuda shorts and mid to knee length skirts as it will be hot then. Would I be getting lots of unwanted attention wearing shorts/skirts as a 30 year old average build Asian woman?
Shorts are called or perceived as underwear in parts of northern India. Skirts shorter than those below the knees have gotten a lot of derogatory comments too. And if you appear to be East Asian and are wearing such clothes as you mention above, there is an unfortunate possibility that you get propositioned by someone looking for a prostitute -- because there is a racist and sexist stereotype problem in India where women from some parts of NE India are perceived to be "available" since a substantial segment of prostitution in India involves migrants from the E/NE of India, Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Forget the shorts. You'll get enough unwanted attention as it is (particularly in north India) without adding that "provocation." I would go with nothing shorter than knee-length in a skirt, and nothing even remotely clingy or form-fitting, ever. Capri pants are your friend!

Just be happy that your skin isn't as pale as mine, and that your hair is not red...those two aspects of my appearance made me a major object of attention in my 25 or so visits to India over 1998-2014.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies ladies

I only have a pair of linen pants, so I plan on buying more in India. Any ideas what price I should aim for when bargaining for a rudimentary one at the markets? Will I be able to find linen trousers with 27-28'' waist x 29'' inseam specs without much effort?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:02 am

Depending on where you are and how many days you are spending in one place, it may be better to just have trousers made by a tailor--it can be quite cheap and fast. Trousers are not typical womens' wear in India, so you will have to go to more Westernized shops (in shopping malls, mostly) to find them, and you might not find your size. Going to a tailor will probably be more efficient, more fun, and end up with a better fit!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Personally, I'd cover up for the sake of mosquitoes
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
In late April, early May? It's so very hot and dry in these parts for mosquitoes to be much of a nuisance. Mosquitoes don't do well in hot, sandy/dusty and smoggy times when humidity is very low.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Depending on where you are and how many days you are spending in one place, it may be better to just have trousers made by a tailor--it can be quite cheap and fast. Trousers are not typical womens' wear in India, so you will have to go to more Westernized shops (in shopping malls, mostly) to find them, and you might not find your size. Going to a tailor will probably be more efficient, more fun, and end up with a better fit!
Mumbai-2, Delhi-3 (not consecutive), Jaipur-1, Agra-2
Cheap and fast meaning in a few hours?

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
That's true-- I always remember to wear trousers during the evenings.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Mosquitoes ALWAYS find me, no matter how everyone else says "oh, it's dry season" or "oh, we're too high for them" - so I'll dress appropriately for culture & climate but always carry my small bottle of DEET.....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Mosquitoes ALWAYS find me, no matter how everyone else says "oh, it's dry season" or "oh, we're too high for them" - so I'll dress appropriately for culture & climate but always carry my small bottle of DEET.....
In late April and earl May, it's not easy to find a mosquito during anytime but the night time and very early morning hours for this area when doing the typical foreign tourist things.

I say this as someone who has bad reactions to mosquitoes and is generally way more likely to be bitten (or noticed to be bitten) by mosquitoes than others in my rooms.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

US size 6/UK size 10

Is the equivalent of US size 6/UK size 10 easy to find in India? Is it considered a big size?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Is the equivalent of US size 6/UK size 10 easy to find in India? Is it considered a big size?
Easy enough to find. Not that big.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:48 pm

Mumbai-2, Delhi-3 (not consecutive), Jaipur-1, Agra-2
Cheap and fast meaning in a few hours?
Probably a day and a night. If you're staying two nights in a place it is doable, but with this itinerary, it might be challenging unless you are focused on finding a tailor shop the minute you get into town. Still, more fun than going to the mall, IMO. But in either case you're going to waste time on buying clothes rather than sightseeing. If I were you I'd just buy things at home before you leave.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Try ExOfficio, REI, Columbia, Eddie Bauer, or Royal Robbins capris and skirts. They're made for travel and most styles are quick-dry for sink washing. Definitely cover up more than you would in the U.S., both to prevent unwanted attention and protect from bugs and sun.

Edit: Just noticed you're from Indonesia. My brand recommends would be suitable for U.S. residents.

Last edited by Dianne47; Mar 10, 2015 at 9:57 pm Reason: Sorry, mis-read OP to be U.S. based.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.