Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do you not feel gross during/after flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you not feel gross during/after flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:02 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
No wonder there are huge queues at toilets before landing. Can't but help think how selfish this is when there are people waiting.
On long flights, they serve roughly 1.5 - 2 hrs before landing so I set my Iphone alarm (vibrate) for that time (or when I hear/smell them banging around in the galley). I change out of my plane outfit, if I'm wearing one, wash my face and brush my teeth then prior to the refreshment/meal service. Most people go to the bathrooms after the meal service so I essentially make sure I'm not in that huge gaggle of people.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:10 pm

I love all your suggestions. One more thing....if you can handle them is....Listerine Breath Strips. They have them in multiple flavors.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
So on my first trip to EU, what tips worked best for me was the tip about yoga pants! Second were the slippers to keep my feet warm and protect my feet in trips to the toilet while seated in coach.

One thing not mentioned was that about the need to bring along body lotion, at least for me in my trip so far in Italy. (for hands, legs, and feet) All the hotels (very nice modern facilities) had NO moisturizing lotion. Good thing my backpack had two moisturizer lotion bottles from previous hotel stays in the USA. My skin felt very dry even at sea level here in Italy
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:29 pm

I do ultra longhauls once every several years to visit my family. 30 hours airtime, usually across 3 flights.

I generally dress casually in jeans with layers; t-shirt, light sweater, jacket. Bring a change of underwear and a fresh t-shirt in my carry on. I get frigidly cold on flights, especially if I try to sleep, so I bring a silk sleeping bag liner (the kind sold for cold/altitude camping trips) and fleecy slippers. Love the idea of the more packable slippers; I need to invest in a pair of those next time.

For reasons completely incomprehensible, my skin gets both dry AND oily on flights. I cleanse with a scrub, moisturize, and brush my teeth before I go to sleep, and will do the same when I wake up, plus deodorant and a change of undies. I also drink a ton of water. I bring at least a liter bottle on the plane with me.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:36 pm

Hi Ladies,
talking about moisturizer.. i thought we arent allowed to take any liquid on flight..
i wanted to take those mini perfumes- like those sampler size, a mascara, lotion, lipstick or gloss whatever is allowed..
Old Apr 2, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, HiltonH, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by Aakshitaa
Hi Ladies,
talking about moisturizer.. i thought we arent allowed to take any liquid on flight..
i wanted to take those mini perfumes- like those sampler size, a mascara, lotion, lipstick or gloss whatever is allowed..
You can take 100ml bottles of liquid, gels etc if you declare them at security in those transparant bags. They also sell 50ml bottles which should pass security.

I travel TransAtl. 4 times a year and take change of underwear in my carryon, baby or face wipes, moisturiser and lip balm c/o Delta. I wear a Genie or camisole bra and stretch jeans or soft pants and cotton top plus long sweater. I usually wear Nike's or other gym shoes which i do not remove in flight. The loo floors are gross and how mums manage with their toddlers or change diapers in them amazes me.

I don't wear makeup though. I'd rather apply this when I land. I also take my rechargeable toothbrush kit which works just as well in the US as the UK and is better than the battery brushes.

As soon as we land, I freshen up in the restroom and change underwear.

I try to take sandwiches or yoghurts on board, where possible. Drink much bottled water and club soda and avoid airline coffee and tea.

Finally, I wrap up in my travel blanket/fleece to sleep.

FWIW, I usually exercise before I fly and haven't had too many problems with jet lag.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:54 am
Original Member

Programs: AC
I really like these threads. Thanks everyone for participating.

I think exercize the day of or before a flight is key. Yoga, running, gym...pick your poison. ?..it's all good. Fruit to bulk up is also important.

I wear comfie clothes in layers on the plane and peel off as required.temps in planes vary widely. I've been on freezing flights (near exits) and saunas...turkish airlines comes to mind. I always bring a wrap/shawl.

If I'm going biz class I may eat on the flight but not if it's late. If I eat all meals on a long set of flights, I feel yucky. Alcohol in moderation. As much water as possible while still allowing sleep. I always bring an empty camelbak bottle which I fill up.

I've been trying those asian hyraulonic paper masks on the flight...which I love albeit a bit messy. Lots of lip balm...khiels is good...so is the fresh sugar line. Toothbrush and toothpaste...compulsory.

Happy trails.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by ctporter
One thing not mentioned was that about the need to bring along body lotion, at least for me in my trip so far in Italy. (for hands, legs, and feet) All the hotels (very nice modern facilities) had NO moisturizing lotion. Good thing my backpack had two moisturizer lotion bottles from previous hotel stays in the USA. My skin felt very dry even at sea level here in Italy
I pack lotion or heavy cream depending on the weather. You can also buy a small bottle of olive oil and add some to the lotion to make it more moisturizing. Some people use argan oil for skin care or hair. That can also be added to lotion to help seal in moisture.

If you also grab a few sugar packets, mix the oil and sugar for a diy sugar scrub. Exfoliation will help. Salt instead of sugar is also ok but don't use it after shaving legs, etc. Also be careful not to slip in the shower as the oil does make it a bit more slick.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:47 am

Glad to see the tips here, they are generally in line with what I do.

One thing that really bothers me on the plane (I mostly do TPAC 25 to 30 hour trips) is the insides of my nose get really dry and inhaling is very painful. Does this happen to anyone else, anyone have any tips for this?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ENFO

One thing that really bothers me on the plane (I mostly do TPAC 25 to 30 hour trips) is the insides of my nose get really dry and inhaling is very painful. Does this happen to anyone else, anyone have any tips for this?
I use a saline nasal spray called Ayr. There are many different brands on the market. I have seasonal allergies and the low humidity combined with this past horrible winter in Cleveland was brutal...Ayr saved my poor nose.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I have problems spraying anything in my nose, though I've read great reviews of saline sprays. I typically use a little beeswax lip balm around my nostrils and try to stay as hydrated as possible.....
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Marriott, HH, United, Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by ENFO

I use the saline nose spray. They have small sizes. Based on tip here, I bought a few cushy slippers in BKK that are made for export but were $4USD. Will use and toss on my next flight.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
If possible, take a shower a few hours before heading to the airport (not early in the morning). Use a heavy cream on body before getting dressed, focusing on feet, knees, elbows, anywhere that gets very dry. Planes have a dry atmosphere, so moisturizing is important. If you will be wearing something that is freshly dry cleaned, remove it from the dry cleaning bag and air it out. Chemicals. Ugh. This is where pantiliners come in really handy, as do feminine wipes.

Wear little make-up on board, remove it with a make-up remover wipe, apply eye serum and cream, apply a paper mask, relax, and, when you remove the paper mask, apply facial moisturizer and lip moisturizer. Put your hair up in a bun or pony before sleep, to keep it neat and make it easier to brush it out in the morning.

Drink lots of water. While many people love flying for the free alcohol, it can be dehydrating. Keep it (and caffeine) to a minimum. Stick to water and chamomile.

If able to sleep horizontally, do so. You will not only sleep better, you will prevent swelling of the feet and legs. Put your legs up early in flight.

When changing out of pajamas or top into a new top, freshen up under your arms. Brush teeth and do a quick face wash, then return to your seat to moisturize and apply simple make-up (cover up dark circles, apply a coat of mascara, apply cheek color, and apply tinted lip balm or gloss). Brush out hair.

If arrival lounge is available, take shower there, and last steps can be taken care of after that.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AC/AS
Loved reading this thread and seeing what everyone's routines are.

A lot of awesome advice, I can only add an extra one:

If you like skinny jeans, the way I do... which is just about the basis of every outfit I wear in my off time, then do splurge on GOOD jeans that have incredible stretch while retaining shape.

I'm currently a pair by Frame, and I'm just amazed at how great they fit, they feel like my yoga pants. Last time I slept amazingly well in them on a long haul. Saved me the hassle of switching into pajama/loose pants.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Silver
I love the avene thermal spring water spray. Both refreshing and feels moisturizing (even though I'm not sure it does...) I also drink a lot of water. Even though my skin gets dryer than usual on long flights I can't use a heavy moisturizing cream on flights, feels like my skin doesn't absorb it properly and it just lays as an extra layer (yuck!) So very thin layers and lighter type of moisturizers (often with aqua in the name) works for me.

Instead of shoes I often bring extra pair of socks to wear on the plane as I often get cold, and I find them easier to bring and takes up less space than shoes (put in a plastic bag after use, and if too gross I just toss them).

I freshen up under my arms several times during the flight if I'm on a long haul flight, and also sometimes bring an extra top or yoga pants to sleep in. Also bring my own neck pillow which doubles as a pillow.

If my boyfriend was meeting me at the other end I'd probably bring a dry shampoo with a nice smell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.