Community
Wiki Posts
Search

employment at westjet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Goldpoints Plus, Priority Club, Fly Blue
Originally Posted by cecrennison
Thank you for the encouragement! I'm dying to know how the telephone interview went. How hard was it? Did you enjoy it at all? And, also, good luck...
Phone interview was SIMPLE! And I was invited to the group Interview here in Halifax in MAY! WOOT! haha !! I dont know if they just invite everyone they choose to interview on the phone to the group interviews but I'm pretty excited!

I feel right now like i did exactly one year ago when i was offered the position with NCL
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:20 pm

Way to go, way to go! Congratulations on getting the group interview! What kind of questions did they have for you during the telephone interview? Is there any way to prepare for the next one? (I think with your experience, you've got it in the bag.)
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:04 pm

Way to go, way to go! Congratulations on getting the group interview! What kind of questions did they have for you during the telephone interview? Is there any way to prepare for the next one? (I think with your experience, you've got it in the bag.)
Well i will never assume because as they said always the "best qualified cantidate" may never get the job. It's all about personality. At least that is the vibe i also got from the phone interview.

Basically theres the mandatory hello then she tells you about what shes going to ask and they ask you about your past work experiences and what you liked about them. I dove quickly into all of my tourism training and experience in hospitality and told them how much i love people. It's all about the people really.

As if that wasn't apparant enough from all the commercials we see about westjet. Basically there is no way to prepare aside from being yourself.

My interviews with employers seem to go fast because I guess I have some sort of skill - aside from people skills. And they asked me about a time i had a stressful situation and how i handled it at work (fire alarm on a shift once) And they also asked me to tell them about myself and they asked me about how i went above and beyond to make a guest happy (i used an example of delivering copies of a book to a passenger's cabin on board the ship i worked on which i did with a smile!

OMG i hit backspace and the page went back... thank GOD this stuff didnt disappear! haha

Now to get over the next hurdle - The group interview. they tell you some info about it and then ask you to repeat the info to them to make sure you have it right (and i think this is where they test to see if you were paying attention and how well your listening skills are)

Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:43 am

Good, good. Thanks for the description of the phone interview.

As for the group interview, I'd say from your replies that you are confident, but not pompous, truly like people, and have a sense of humour. You seem like a great fit for Westjet to me. Please keep us posted on the group interview. And break a leg!
Old May 1, 2008, 4:56 pm

Good, good. Thanks for the description of the phone interview.

As for the group interview, I'd say from your replies that you are confident, but not pompous, truly like people, and have a sense of humour. You seem like a great fit for Westjet to me. Please keep us posted on the group interview. And break a leg!
Let's not hope I break a leg - they might not let me work for the company then!! Crap! haha!
But thank you - I am quite confident; however, I am not pompus nor do i try to show people up. I am truly a people person and I am glad you can see that

I'm sure I will make a great in-flight assistant :P
Old May 7, 2008, 12:57 am

ohhhh my. Todays the day and i'm excited, sleep deprived and i must say a little nervous as i dont know exactly what to expect
Old May 8, 2008, 8:28 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by YEG Guy
The group interview is a behavioural based interview. There are no right or wrong answers and the applicant cannot practice for the interview. This is an interview about how the applicant presents themselves and not what is actually said. That said, the applicant can be the most presentable of the group and still not get the job. There are specific traits that the HR department is looking for. The best advice is to make sure the applicant is alert, follow the instructions, and is a true reflection of themselves. Also, because the interview is not about skill but about behaviour, if your son doesn't get the job he should not feel like the interview was blown. The best candidate often does not get the job in these types of interviews.
of course, WS is looking for "owners". an "owner" has traits such as unwaivering faith for authority and the rules. these people are less likely to whistle blow, desire a union, and/or question the low pay combined with the culture of putting 15% of your industry-low salary into high risk investments.

if you don't believe anything i just said, look into the work of industrial psychologists and "human resource consultants", particularly in the 1970s when there was an "outbreak" of union organization.

so yes, there is no "right answer" for these interviews, just the "right mentality".

Last edited by cur; May 8, 2008 at 8:37 am
Old May 8, 2008, 10:00 am

Question

Originally Posted by jong866
ohhhh my. Todays the day and i'm excited, sleep deprived and i must say a little nervous as i dont know exactly what to expect
Jong!
I've been out of town, and just saw your post now. How DID it go? When will you hear?
Old May 12, 2008, 5:09 am

Jong!
I've been out of town, and just saw your post now. How DID it go? When will you hear?
it was crazy cool. There was one thing that REALLY botherd me about it but ill get into it in a minute.

You hear within 1-3weeks

there is a short face to face interview included.
they walk around with clip boards

you have to tell people about yourself where ur from why u wanna work for WS and also your most embarassing moment ever.

there are a few group things you do. there is a meet and greet mingling treasure hunt, then your split off in groups and you have to come up with idesa to sell an oblect to people who wouldnt normally buy one.

the thing i didnt like about this is i was pulled for my interview during the time my group was comming up with the ideas so i came back into it unoprepared and (sorry if any of u are reading this) our group sucked and seemeed like was unprepared and there wasnt much i could do about it ....

we had to sell typerwriters to a large corporate entity lol!

then we each got a slip of paper for us to tell ppl about something right... mine was about my first job. loved it. it was so simple.

and then we got a sheet with scenarios on board aircraft and we had to tell them as a group how we would essentially deal with these situations should they arise on the aircraft.

Then they tell you to email WestJet and tell them why you want to be the nest flight attendant... and if you dont email them they dont even bother checking references. but i think they said that if they dont call ur references - dont expect them to employ you.

im sooo nervous.

youll find out much more
Old May 12, 2008, 6:45 am

of course, WS is looking for "owners". an "owner" has traits such as unwaivering faith for authority and the rules. these people are less likely to whistle blow, desire a union, and/or question the low pay combined with the culture of putting 15% of your industry-low salary into high risk investments.
I love when people write this sort of garbage; it shows how little they know about Westjet. First, hiring someone who wants to work there is the number one priority. Call it unwaivering faith, but you don't hire insubbordinate people; they belong in a union-type environment where they can have the "protection" they need. We don't need a union because (and I know this is hard to believe) the employee association and WJ Management are engaged with the interests of BOTH parties at heart. We pay 100% of the market median as base pay, and employees can contribute up to 20% of their pay which, matched $1 for $1, adds another 20% to that base pay. During times where we are profitable you can add profit share into that calculation. To use a CSA as an example, a 5 year CSA working full-time got around $1200 last May, $2600 in November, and will be getting around $1500 this May. Pilots are a different can of worms as they have stock options and a more complex pay package based on mixed % of pay and options.

While the ignorant don't understand how WJ's pay package works, the educated do. It rewards the employees during profitable periods and keeps the airline economically viable during the times where we aren't. FWIW, WJ's CSA's are now leading the industry (in Canada) in pay. There are times where the pilots are, too, but again that's a complex package based on stocks. I was intimately involved in the salary review this year and what the association proposed was actually less than what the company gave us. Go figure.
Old May 15, 2008, 9:48 pm

TA DA!!!!!
And you have your next WestJet flight attendant! WOO!
Old May 21, 2008, 6:10 pm

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum...just wondering what the turnaround time is after the group FA interview...I know they called my first reference and he couldn't talk so they said they'd call back. They successfully spoke with my second reference as well. Do they call all the references? What could slow down the process? What comes first, a call or an e-mail? Any insight would be great
Old May 21, 2008, 6:16 pm

Also, if accepted, how soon do you go for the medical?

Last edited by WJwannabee; May 21, 2008 at 6:27 pm
Old May 22, 2008, 9:31 am

They will email you either way or call you. So if you dont hear from them right away its not bad news. It can take up to 3 weeks.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:13 am

Thanks for the response! It's a week today since my interview so I'll try to be patient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.