Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YOW-YYZ-MYR flight on WS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
YOW-YYZ-MYR flight on WS

I have never flown on WS - but I am considering the option, as neither AC or UA (Star Alliance partner of AC) fly to Myrtle Beach.

I am considering buying the premium seat tickets.

Some questions:

1. How is the service on WS mainline vs WS Encore?
2. Can one use the Plaza Premium lounge located in the domestic section of T3; as there is no such lounge in the transborder section (I have an Canadian AMEX Platinum card, also a Priority Pass card). Of course, there would be no issues using the lounge on the way back.
3. The YYZ-MYR flight is approx 2.5 hours - which is the cutoff on the WS web site for at least getting a snack. Would there be a food snack, or not - on the YYZ-MYR flights?
4. WS does use TSA precheck now (I have nexus); I have to check if MYR uses TSA precheck.
5. Do WS employees or contracted employees check in passengers at MYR?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have never flown on WS - but I am considering the option, as neither AC or UA (Star Alliance partner of AC) fly to Myrtle Beach.

Some questions:

2. Can one use the Plaza Premium lounge located in the domestic section of T3; as there is no such lounge in the transborder section (I have an Canadian AMEX Platinum card, also a Priority Pass card). Of course, there would be no issues using the lounge on the way back.
3. The YYZ-MYR flight is approx 2.5 hours - which is the cutoff on the WS web site for at least getting a snack. Would there be a food snack, or not - on the YYZ-MYR flights?
4. WS does use TSA precheck now (I have nexus); I have to check if MYR uses TSA precheck.
As a passenger who usually does AC (and WS more rarely when it is a better fit). I can answer some but not all questions.

WJ Mainline is similar to AC mainline. WJ Encore (on a Q400) is similar to Jazz (on a Q400). More overhead bin space in the 737 than the Q400. Inflight service is comparable on routes of the same distance.

I have not tried using a domestic lounge on a trans-boarded boarding pass. However given they don't care which airline it is I don't see why the lounge operator would care. I also have the AMEX Platinum. Frankly it a much better card to have when flying WestJet and Delta than most any other airline.

I have been on flights shorted than 2.5 hour where they hand out the choice of a sweet or salty pack snack with the drink service. The free snack selection is generally better on WestJet than AC. More variability. I get the impression AC changes theirs once a decade or two.

No idea on the MYR specifics. Generally most of the foreign low volume or seasonal destinations are contract staff. I this Las Vegas (probably their busiest foreign outstation is mostly contract. Perhaps some staff in the mix.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.

Some questions:

1/ As prev poster, service on <1hr flight on a Q400 is about the same whether it's WS or AC. You might get some extra perks if you buy a Plus ticket for your trip. (Keep in mind, with WS, those perks will only be provided if you choose your seats in the Plus section of the a/c. Seat selection with a Plus fare is free)

2/ PP lounge + time to get through customs = not sure (I don't know this equation for YYZ)

3/ I would hope that on a 2.5h flight you'll have something more than pretzels or twizzlers available. However, WS built its brand on low cost (and attracting customers who don't buy a lot aboard) so don't expect much. HOWEVER! Since you're flyibg out of YYZ to MYR, check the WS website for pre-order options. AC/UA don't do fresh food pre-order but WS does! (For select flights)

4/ Pre✔️ is only available in US airports. Not sure if it's even applicable to your MYRYYZ flight, since it's "international".

5/ Not a clue.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,

Some questions:

1. Same friendly service. Likely wont have time for a full service round though, so will just be offered water and a sweet and salty snack.
2. Yes, you can.
3. There will be items to buy on board (sandwiches, salads, tapas box, etc .. see their website for more), or you can pre-order food.
4. Yes, WS uses Precheck. Whether MYR does is irrelevant to what airline you choose.
5. If I had to guess, it is contracted employees. Most of their US centers are contract.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by YEGcg
Pre✔️ is only available in US airports. Not sure if it's even applicable to your MYRYYZ flight, since it's "international".
At every airport I've used, Pre✔️ works just fine for international flights.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
At smaller US airports there is modified PreCheck. You're given a card so you can leave your shoes and belt on, but computers and baggies must be removed from carry-ons. No separate lane either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.