Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling a NON refundable ticket

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Cancelling a NON refundable ticket

Booked a couple return tickets with WJ to give it a try at the recommendation of AMEX Platinum Travel service instead of AC where we have had status for as long back as I can remember. Became a WJ GOLD as a result of status match and came across the 'price drop guarantee'. Out of curiosity, checked my upcoming flights later this month and the price had dropped by $150.00 per person (same flights and dates) so a total of $300.00 for the two of us. Did NOT however apply to us because our tickets were booked prior to Sept. 15th when the guarantee went into affect. My curious mind started to research other options to save $s including cancelling my flight for a penalty of $75.00 per ticket so that we can still save some $s. NO GO I was told because my tickets are NON refundable so what I get from cancelling is a 'credit' which I can use towards a future ticket and pay a change fee. Given that my NEW fare will be less than the credit plus the change fee, I do not get any refund NOR a residual credit toward future travel. While I understand all of this, did want to post for those who better understand the WJ system in case there is a way around it.
It is NOT a big deal to let go the savings but did want to better understand if there are ways to get around it given that I have another similar booking later this year.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:11 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Hi Retired FF,
While we can't speak for any additional fees that AMEX Platinum Travel may have, we can assure you that on a fare booked directly with us, if the fare difference is $150, then if you minus off the $75 change fee (or $50 for Flex), the any left-over residual funds can be placed into a travel credit (in this case, $75). This can be used toward base fare and taxes or any new flight-only booking.

Here's an example:
Original fare $500.
New fare $350.
Difference is $150.

$150 - the change fee of $75 = $75 credit, after the ticket has been re-issued.

So you'd end up with the new ticket for no additional outlay, plus a $75 credit.

Clear as mud?
Darren
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks Darren for your reply. AMEX does NOT charge any extra fees but the agent I spoke with at AMEX was of the opinion that NO travel credits will be issued in my case. I will look to see if the reduced fare is still available and if so, will ask AMEX to get in touch with WestJet. Will post an update.

Originally Posted by WestJet
Hi Retired FF,
While we can't speak for any additional fees that AMEX Platinum Travel may have, we can assure you that on a fare booked directly with us, if the fare difference is $150, then if you minus off the $75 change fee (or $50 for Flex), the any left-over residual funds can be placed into a travel credit (in this case, $75). This can be used toward base fare and taxes or any new flight-only booking.

Here's an example:
Original fare $500.
New fare $350.
Difference is $150.

$150 - the change fee of $75 = $75 credit, after the ticket has been re-issued.

So you'd end up with the new ticket for no additional outlay, plus a $75 credit.

Clear as mud?
Darren
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Darren, here seems to be the missing information I did not have.
AMEX Platinum Travel Service has a special agreement with WestJet which entitles their customer to a special discount. IF A CUSTOMER CHOOSES to book under this special agreement between WestJet and AMEX then the regular WestJet fare rules do NOT apply to the booking. So in my case, IF I choose to cancel then under the AMEX/WestJet agreement, I MUST use the entire credit for a SINGLE future booking for myself and if the new booking is of a lesser value, then I do NOT get any residual credit.
So NOW it is clear is mud
Thanks for your reply once again...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Retired FF
Darren, here seems to be the missing information I did not have.
AMEX Platinum Travel Service has a special agreement with WestJet which entitles their customer to a special discount. IF A CUSTOMER CHOOSES to book under this special agreement between WestJet and AMEX then the regular WestJet fare rules do NOT apply to the booking. So in my case, IF I choose to cancel then under the AMEX/WestJet agreement, I MUST use the entire credit for a SINGLE future booking for myself and if the new booking is of a lesser value, then I do NOT get any residual credit.
So NOW it is clear is mud.
Good to know. I thought those special Amex Plat fares had been discontinued.

Have you considered rebooking to a Plus fare for (part of) your trip? This way, you could get at least some value out of the price drop.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Good to know. I thought those special Amex Plat fares had been discontinued.

Have you considered rebooking to a Plus fare for (part of) your trip? This way, you could get at least some value out of the price drop.
I DID consider this but my flight is non stop and the difference between the Plus fare and the one I booked was much higher than the fare drop.
Using AMEX Plat service does give one a discount of between 5-10%. In view of the price drop guarantee policy that recently went into affect, AMEX now gives a choice to the customer for booking through the AMEX special deal, which will not qualify for the price drop or the regular WestJet price.
At least now I understand all my options for any future bookings
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Retired FF
Using AMEX Plat service does give one a discount of between 5-10%.
Do you happen to know how many passengers can fly on such tickets bought by one cardholder? The cardholder plus how much company?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sokolov
Do you happen to know how many passengers can fly on such tickets bought by one cardholder? The cardholder plus how much company?
I am not 100% sure BUT I think there is NO limit as long as it is charged to a AMEX PLAT card. I have a friend who was coming a couple days later to join us and I was allowed to book for her as long as I paid on my AMEX Plat card. The down side was that by doing so in case of flight disruptions, she will have no coverage using my card so we decided that it was better to let go the small discount and she booked on her own CC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.