FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cancelling a NON refundable ticket
View Single Post
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:12 pm
Retired FF

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Cancelling a NON refundable ticket

Booked a couple return tickets with WJ to give it a try at the recommendation of AMEX Platinum Travel service instead of AC where we have had status for as long back as I can remember. Became a WJ GOLD as a result of status match and came across the 'price drop guarantee'. Out of curiosity, checked my upcoming flights later this month and the price had dropped by $150.00 per person (same flights and dates) so a total of $300.00 for the two of us. Did NOT however apply to us because our tickets were booked prior to Sept. 15th when the guarantee went into affect. My curious mind started to research other options to save $s including cancelling my flight for a penalty of $75.00 per ticket so that we can still save some $s. NO GO I was told because my tickets are NON refundable so what I get from cancelling is a 'credit' which I can use towards a future ticket and pay a change fee. Given that my NEW fare will be less than the credit plus the change fee, I do not get any refund NOR a residual credit toward future travel. While I understand all of this, did want to post for those who better understand the WJ system in case there is a way around it.
It is NOT a big deal to let go the savings but did want to better understand if there are ways to get around it given that I have another similar booking later this year.