Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch premium economy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:29 pm

3 aircraft, none flying. All 3 waiting for TC approval.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Return from Maui we had a 737-800 with the TVs and as per the post above the old generous legroom seating throughout Y. I would fly WS to Hawaii everytime if they kept the current seat pitch.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Saretsky said focus groups that saw a prototype of the changes couldn't distinguish the difference and new seat technology with thinner seats will give passengers the illusion that space has actually increased.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/westj...#ixzz2Cp45WMXh
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:46 pm

I can definitely tell the difference between the new thinner seats and the old thicker ones. Have to agree it does give the illusion of more legroom.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Hypnotize
I can definitely tell the difference between the new thinner seats and the old thicker ones. Have to agree it does give the illusion of more legroom.
New seats explains the reason for TC approval holdup. SO this change to PE is not just moving seats up and down the track but has a whole new seat design. If the seat gives the illusion of more legroon, is it possible the new seat has non-standard configuration (e.g. move the magazine rack farther up the seatback, hard shell seat like the new LH european seats, etc.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
...and with new seats does that mean the TV offering is being pulled out of the aircraft that are so renovated?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 4:00 pm

They've said that all new planes will have thinner seats. Presumably that means that the old planes, which make up the vast majority of the fleet, will keep the old seats with reduced seat pitch.

Regardless of how they try to spin it, this is not a good thing for most "guests".
Old Nov 21, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Several
I was on a brand new -800 of WestJet's last month. The seats are ok - they are the typical hard plastic back - I remember them being white but it's possible they are light grey. They do seem tall - but that could be an illusion. Comfort was fine - I flew it YYC-LAX. They had ZERO tv's in them. That was why I made a complaint to WS. As we were boarding the gate agent said - oh - you are on one of our brand new planes - and there is no entertainment system so you may want to go get a magazine. Nice to tell us as we were boarding. So everyone came prepared for tv's. And think about who goes to LAX. Parents with kids. YUP - parents brought the kids headsets so they were not prepared for this shocking surprise of NOTHING to do. If they knew ahead they could have brought toys or music or something. So there I was listening to kids whining all the way to LAX because all we had to do was sit and stare directly ahead of us at a white plastic seatback.

Also note - they do not provide a power outlet. So - how are all these people with their own iPads or the ones rented going to keep them charged while watching movies on a flight say to Hawaii or Florida. Hmmm?

But, to stay on topic, the seats were fine as I recall.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Ya, we heard you the first time <_<

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19598932-post3.html
Old Nov 21, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by WestonC
I was on a brand new -800 of WestJet's last month. The seats are ok - they are the typical hard plastic back - I remember them being white but it's possible they are light grey. They do seem tall - but that could be an illusion. Comfort was fine - I flew it YYC-LAX. They had ZERO tv's in them. That was why I made a complaint to WS. As we were boarding the gate agent said - oh - you are on one of our brand new planes - and there is no entertainment system so you may want to go get a magazine. Nice to tell us as we were boarding. So everyone came prepared for tv's. And think about who goes to LAX. Parents with kids. YUP - parents brought the kids headsets so they were not prepared for this shocking surprise of NOTHING to do. If they knew ahead they could have brought toys or music or something. So there I was listening to kids whining all the way to LAX because all we had to do was sit and stare directly ahead of us at a white plastic seatback.

Also note - they do not provide a power outlet. So - how are all these people with their own iPads or the ones rented going to keep them charged while watching movies on a flight say to Hawaii or Florida. Hmmm?

But, to stay on topic, the seats were fine as I recall.
Dear god what did people do before electronics? Sorry but the entitlement of airline passengers to have anything and everything is beyond ridiculous.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:57 pm

I don't care so much about inflight TV. I don't have a TV at home so why would I need one on a plane? These inflight entertainment systems are heavy and thus expensive to fly back and forth. Not to forget the electricity, the rights to show the stuff, maintenance, etc.

However, I do understand WestonC. Passengers would want to know in advance that they are being removed.

And, yes, charging outlets would be a plus. More important than inflight TV. (Then again, they often come together - either both or nothing).
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:57 pm

Dear god what did people do before electronics? Sorry but the entitlement of airline passengers to have anything and everything is beyond ridiculous.
It's all about expectations. WestJet has been advertising LiveTV for ages; people therefore expect it. If they knew it would not be available, they likely would have brought something else.

Over the last few years, WestJet has not done well at managing expectations. And when guests complain, WestJet blames them for having unrealistic expectations -- hardly the sort of customer service we saw in the early years.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Agreed. People expect TVs because Westjet has said they have TVs. There is nothing wrong with having such an expectation. I also expect to be able to buy a salad in row 3 but sadly this did not happen on my recent MEALTIME flight.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Several
Wow - quite rude a reply for someone making a simple statement in response to the thread.

As mentioned - it is about expectations. WestJet advertised the entertainment system - we boarded our flight with no books or magazines etc. because we expected the entertainment system. We had nothing to help us pass the time. It's expectations.

Let's look at it another way. You expect to be able to take 1 free checked bag on WestJet. If they suddenly changed the rules without informing you or advertising and you went to the airport to check in with your 1 checked bag and they said it will cost you $30.00 - I'm sure you would be on here complaining. Or what if they said - no more baggage - it's you only.

That's the point of the comment.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:14 pm

Look I understand your frustration, I understand the expectation. My comment was generalized and not specific to anyone here.

Back on topic.. 600 and 700 are online flying with the new configuration. For some reason the 800 is not yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.